As veggie cooks, we’ve struggled for years with how to best fry up our friend the bean curd without needing our other friend the chicken egg. An egg wash instantly lends a stickiness needed to fully coat the tofu with flour. Without it, attaining a crispy tofu skin is all but impossible. Until now.
For this easy tofu recipe we substituted the egg with honey (of course!) and the result is a perfectly sticky, deliciously golden crispy, fried tofu. Now for those vegans who refuse to participate in the caged life of the honey bee, we’re sorry, we can’t help you.
Honey Fried Tofu
1/2 block extra firm tofu
2 Tbs. honey
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1. Press your tofu by wrapping paper towels and placing a heavy plate or phone book on top. Turn after 10 minutes and repeat. Dump excess water. Cut your tofu into 4 fat square pieces.
2. Place your flour onto a deep plate and squeeze honey into a large bowl. Rub each piece of tofu into the honey, coating all sides, and pat it with flour until fully coated.
3. Add the frying oil to a deep pan on high heat. After 5 minutes add tofu and watch carefully so as not to burn. Flip every couple of minutes. Once nicely brown, remove from oil and set on paper towels. Let your oil cool before disposing (save 2 Tbs. for the sauce).
Soy Honey Glaze
1 handful green beans
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
8-10 crimini mushrooms, quartered
4 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3 Tbs. soy sauce
3 Tbs. hoisin or Chinese barbecue sauce
1 Tbs. honey
1. Steam your green beans over a rolling boil for 5-10 minues.
2. Place a small saucepan on high heat. Add your leftover vegetable oil with the mushrooms and garlic. Stir thoroughly. Remove your green beans from heat and cut them into 1/2 inch pieces. Add them to the saucepan.
3. Then add soy sauce, hoisin or Chinese barbecue sauce, and a drizzle of honey. Let the sauce bubble for 5 minutes.
4. Serve with a serving of brown rice. Stack the tofu pieces on top of rice and smother it with the glaze sauce.
Beverage: Brown rice tea with splash of bourbon
Soundtrack: Jesus and Mary Chain’s “Just Like Honey” on repeat
is a community of writers, visual artists, musicians, filmmakers, and other great humans.
- You all entered to win a free copy of our new book right? :http://t.co/ZM4DkAUAJu #veg #vegan #lustforleaf
- RT @carciofirosso: "@VICE: California Winemakers Are Mixing Weed with Their Grapes http://t.co/xoGISd471c" @HotKnivez sounds right up your …
- We @HotKnivez will be on KCRW 89.9 w/ @evankleiman at 11am today. Tune in. #LustForLeaf
- We wouldn't want to beat @RandyClemensEsq in another vegan cook-off. (See "chile") @SpaceClown @TheSexyVegan @therealchefaj