The tuber we’ve come to call the Jerusalem Artichoke may be the
perfect Thanksgiving food stuff, (its more poetic name, of course, is
sunchoke), because the gnarly little, root-like guy was a native of
North America long before any pale face chefs showed up. And when
colonial explorers brought sunchokes back to Europe they were a hit.
In fact the French wouldn’t deign to eat potatoes, but they loved
They bear no relation to the real artichoke but the resemblance in
taste in rad. The bulbs have everything: a hint of dirt, a mealy,
mushy texture akin to yucca and that undeniable meat yartichoke
flavor. November is also the tale end of the sunchoke season, so don’t
wait ’till X-mas.
Here we mixed them half and half with Yukon taters for something close
to mashed potatoes, but whipped to a gooey cream with tumeric-infused
10 sunchokes, peeled (about 1 pound)
3 Yukon potatoes, peeled
2 Tbs. sea salt
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 Tbs. red chili flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbs. tumeric
1/4 cup soy milk, unflavored
1. Bring 2 large pots to boil and salt the water.
2. In a pan, add the oil and saute the chili flakes, garlic and
tumeric over high heat. After a couple minutes bring it down to a
simmer and let sit.
3. Add potatoes to one and the sunchokes to the other as they cook at
different speeds. Let boil for 10-12 minutes and test sunchokes with a
for–it should slide right through. Remove, drain and set aside. Give
thge potatoes a couple extra minutes and drain, remove, set aside.
4. In a large blender or food processor blend the potatoes, sunchokes,
oil mixture and soy milk. Poke it with a spoon and use the highest
setting to achieve a thorough whipping, not just a mash texture.
5. Serve like ice cream as a side dish.
Beverage: New Belgium’s 2 Degrees Below
Soundtrack: Depeche Mode’s Violator
is a community of writers, visual artists, musicians, filmmakers, and other great humans.
- You all entered to win a free copy of our new book right? :http://t.co/ZM4DkAUAJu #veg #vegan #lustforleaf
- RT @carciofirosso: "@VICE: California Winemakers Are Mixing Weed with Their Grapes http://t.co/xoGISd471c" @HotKnivez sounds right up your …
- We @HotKnivez will be on KCRW 89.9 w/ @evankleiman at 11am today. Tune in. #LustForLeaf
- We wouldn't want to beat @RandyClemensEsq in another vegan cook-off. (See "chile") @SpaceClown @TheSexyVegan @therealchefaj