For the traditionalists among you, stay tuned for some sort of fucked up seitan turkey concoction later in the week. For you free thinkers, here’s a ridiculous take on the pork loin thanks to Gimme Lean, our favorite sausage prada on the market. Breaded, herbed and sauced, this shit is tart and savory, perfect as a holiday entrée.
Leek and Apple Loin
1 Gimme Lean sausage log
2 Tbs. honey
6-8 stoned wheat crackers
2 large leeks
1 Fugi apple
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tsp. cardamom
1. Remove fake sausage log from wrapping, gently as to retain shape. Smother with honey and rub vigorously to cover entire surface. Using a mortar and pestel or food processor, crush the crackers into breadcrumbs. Add fennel seeds and continue to powderize. On a plate, combine the spices and roll honeyed sausage log until fully covered. Oil a large sautee pan and place on medium heat. Sear the sausage log until entire surface is browned. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Quarter apple and then slice thinly. Wash the leek, slice in half and wash again to remove any dirt. Then separate into long stems. Grease a deep bread pan with extra virgin olive oil and then cover the bottom with apple slices. Sprinkle apple with cardamom. Then spread leek stems and place sausage log on top.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
Hot Pickled Garlic Pomegranate Glaze
1 cup white balsamic
1/2 cup dry sherry
2 Tbs. honey
10 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup pomegranate glaze
4 Tbs. whole grain mustatd
1. Combine in small saucepan, bring to boil and let simmer for 30 minutes. Once garlic is cooked through, remove from heat and separate cloves from the remaining liquid. Set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine 1/4 cup leftover pickle vinegar goo, 1/4 cup pomagrenite molasses, 4 Tbs. whole grain mustard. Baste your log as needed during the cooking process and save the pickled garlic for garnish.
Beverage: Alaskan Winter Ale
Soundtrack: Jacob Smigel’s Thanksgiving Album
is a community of writers, visual artists, musicians, filmmakers, and other great humans.
- You all entered to win a free copy of our new book right? :http://t.co/ZM4DkAUAJu #veg #vegan #lustforleaf
- RT @carciofirosso: "@VICE: California Winemakers Are Mixing Weed with Their Grapes http://t.co/xoGISd471c" @HotKnivez sounds right up your …
- We @HotKnivez will be on KCRW 89.9 w/ @evankleiman at 11am today. Tune in. #LustForLeaf
- We wouldn't want to beat @RandyClemensEsq in another vegan cook-off. (See "chile") @SpaceClown @TheSexyVegan @therealchefaj