La Grand Crew: The Aftertaste

beer%20ride1.jpg
Wow, what a hangover, our blog has a migraine.
The aforementioned La Grand Crew bike & beer tour swooped through L.A. yesterday in an ambitious arc of drunken geekiness. The event was an epic success — certainly more excellent than even we anticipated — and that’s mostly due to the quality of humans that showed up for our pet experiment. Twenty-six rad warriors showed up, everyone from the costumed Cub-ride party circuit, to Midnight Ridazz elders, to Azusa beer friends, to Hollywood ladies on beach cruisers to dudes who hadn’t even looked at a bicycle in 6 years. Starting in Highland Park, we weaved our way to the ocean and back in a yeasty 35-mile circle. We hit all five of the brew clubhouses on the itinerary, as well as a last-minute deli sandwich pit stop at a lovely liquor emporium thanks to Hair of the Dog Dave’s suggestion. If you saw a rowdy pack of boozers taking up one-and-a-half lanes on Sunset Boulevard, well, that was us.
1097049658_b1c47d5171.jpg
Thanks to Will “Wildbell” Campbell and his commando cammy skillz, there’s a set of fantastic photos chronicling the entire ride. Check ‘em out: Don’t miss the painted mustaches of Joe Borfo and the bikini-clad “Let’s Fuck,” marvel at the B-Rad’s skills of biking while wearing a freaky giraffe mask, and take in the dignified wool man-capri-bike-pants of John. Some of our favorite memories were watching our new friend who calls himself Reverend Dak buy a bottle of Avery’s “The Reverend” Belgian-style ale. Then there was the slightly bizarre yet supremely thoughtful flyer waiting for us at 7-Eleven announcing the series of offered discounts (featuring wacky mountain bike clip art and snazzy photos of corporate suits toasting beer mugs at what could only be an staged corporate retreat). Most of all, we rejoiced at seeing Dan make it home alive on the clunker of a bike he had scavenged for the ride — he got the dedicated badass award.
Now, no ride would be complete without a little reward at the finish line, so we set on “tasting” all of our spoils; the goal was to end with 99 bottles of beer on the wall. Sadly, we made it only to 77. Still, it was the most impressive craft beer line-up outside of a store that any of us had ever seen. We roasted up some hot nuts, shared sips, swilled each other’s sweaty saliva, and talked beer until we were drunk. The Hot Knives contingent managed to stay sober enough to capture a little of it on video. We love you La Grand Crew!

And for those of you who missed out (even as were riding our in-box was piling up with people saying they had found out about the ride too late), there may be a second installment once we can bring ourselves to drink beer again. Stay tuned.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to La Grand Crew: The Aftertaste

1. evan says:

I can’t believe this! You guys are the lords of Los Angeles… what a phenomenally developed and masterfully executed plan. If I could go more than 10 ft. on a bicycle without ending up in the hospital I would be really upset that I wasn’t around for this…
    although coincidentally me and some friends here did a tour de 7-11 birthday celebration, where dressed to the nines and trekked through taipei stopping for a beer at every 7-11 along the way. not quite as epic but way messier… and the beer was obviously not as good. still, long live beer tourism.

2. Dan Brody says:

Dudes, I am so sore, but oh so satisfied. Thanks again for an excellent time. Next time I will put some more air in my tires.

3. Jon says:

My Sunday may have been spent in pain, but Saturday was utter perfection. Thanks for the beer-tastic time.
    And all truly dignified and refined gentlemen call proper man-capris “knickers.”

4. Dudes, I don’t know if it was the band-aid tasting beer mixed with the scotch, plus the Mrs. Buttersworth pistachios or just my general lightweight drinker status but a crackin’ headache woke me up Sunday at 3 a.m. and I was hatin’ life. Loving the ride and the mixer afterwards and the 12 advil it took to knock the pain down, but hating everything else.
    PS. Can’t wait for the next one.

5. Jon says:

Oh, and I must reiterate my idea that I mentioned in a drunken haze Saturday evening: bike ride down to San Diego, maybe camp somewhere along the way, tour some breweries, then take the Amtrak back up. Y’know it’ll be a beautiful thing!

6. Aubrey says:

Glad to hear you made it home safe Jon. I’m surprised you can even remember the San Diego conversation.

7. Mikey says:

Epic and amazing! Well done!

8. Claire Evans says:

I WANNA RIDE WITH MY DOGS

9. rev.dak says:

Thanks for having us! It was an amazing ride. I enjoyed every minute of it. You guys are welcome to ride with Tren Way BG (my beer/bike gang) anytime.
    Ride On!

10. Kelly says:

This was SUCH an awesome ride!! I wish we could have finished it and had beers with y’all! I really can’t wait to do it again!

11. Dave says:

Amazing video music montage. Love the look on Alex’s face when the nuts come out.
    Damn I wish I could have stuck around for the Dylan. It was great making a ton of new friends all day!
    Definitely the best Saturday I’ve had in a long while. But there’s another great one on the horizon. Who’s going to Sunset Junction this Saturday?
    Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7831061@N05/sets/72157601403117494/