Part historical exhibit, part typewriter clinic, part art show–the inaugural Portland Typewriter Jam has everything a typewriter aficionado could wish for! Over 50 unique and exotic typewriters on display, and dozens of different typewriters to use. A typewriter clinic for cleaning and maintenance tips, ribbons and supplies–PLUS–you can and pull your own typewriter-themed art print–FREE!
The IPRC is proud to host Uppercase Magazine Publisher and author Janine Vangool selling her new book “The Typewriter: A Graphic History of the Beloved Machine”.
Saturday October 10th, 2015
1001 SE Division Street
• “The Museum” An exhibit of 50 rare typewriters, (only for looking).
• “Dr. Typewriter ” Matt from ACE Typewriter will be doing demonstrations, taking a typewriter apart, repairing it, cleaning it, etc. He will also do some clinic/ walk-in diagnostics, and have ribbons, supplies (and maybe a few typewriter?) on hand/for sale.
• Try your hands at typing on dozens of different styles of typewriters.
• Think you’re fast? Enter the speed-typing trials and test your WPM.
• An exhibit of historical typewriter ephemera; vintage manuals, typing instruction books and poster, typewriter ribbon tins, advertising, and other miscellany.
• Hands on fancy print pulls of typewriter themed poster.
• Special Typewriter Jam swag
• Beer by Fort George Brewery
If that’s not enough—Janine Vangool will be giving a public lecture at PSU!
Join the editor of Uppercase Magazine for a journey through the 150+ year history of the the typewriter through the graphic design and advertising that tells its story over the decades.
Janine Vangool: Typewriter, a History
Sunday, Oct 11 at 7pm