Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Freelancers Unite!

edited September 2014
For those that are freelancing, what do you use for accounting and tracking income/expenses and invoicing clients?

I've been using Freshbooks but I would never recommend it and I only use it for invoices.

Comments

• Boring as it is, I think QuickBooks is pretty standard?
  • Does anyone know of something free that's less detailed than Freshbooks (i.e. no need for other users, payroll, etc) but more complex than a spreadsheet?
  • Harvest does time tracking/expense tracking and invoicing, but don't know if it's powerful enough for real "accounting". I really like it for time tracking though.

https://www.getharvest.com
  • I don't use any of this stuff for accounting / invoicing. My system is super simple but it seems to work.

Other than that on my current contract uses 10000ft for time tracking / management, Basecamp for project management, and Expensify for expense reports.
  • Oh yeah, well I use 1000000ft
  • I use a Mead pocket notebook with an ol' nub of a bowling pencil stuck in the spiral
  • I didn't like Basecamp... but all of the project management tools seem kind of like overkill to me. We use Asana currently, but I never look at it. We also have Trello, GitHub, and HipChat, and Expensify for expenses. These are all reasons I wish I was a cabinet maker or something.
  • Yeah, it's kind of the worst dealing with all this BS. I feel like I spend more time catching up on time tracking and expensing than actually working.
  • Not time tracking, but we’ve been using Slack. I like the integrations, wrote a script to send a notification on deployment, stuff like that.
  • Yeah, I pushed for Slack to replace HipChat, but so far no go.
  • Studiometry is a thing people I know like: http://oranged.net/studiometry/
  • My favorite thing about getting out of the web business (for now) and into Industrial Design is not having any time tracking anymore, and very light PM software. And I get to work with badass cabinet makers ; )
  • Not all web businesses use time tracking ;)