Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

VOTE ER DIE

edited October 2014
I dusted off my UHX url to come here for acvice/to see how zin was voting.

Is there not a thread yet? Is voting still cool?

I live in a different county now, excited to vote there.

I got my report card and I did: GOOD

Comments

• My shareholders are pretty pro-weed.
  • YES ON THAT STICKY ICKY
  • I didn't vote on the GMO measure. So much misinformation on both sides of the debate and couldn't align or agree with either.
  • Hey guys!

People
    YES for Jeff Merkley, Earl Blumenauer, and John Kitzhaber. For local Oregon races, I can generally recommend OLCV’s candidate endorsements.

Measures
    Measure 86 - Post-secondary education fund - YES
    OPB story

Measure 87 - Employment of state judges - YES
    Oregonian endorsement for what those assholes are worth

Measure 88 - Driver cards - YES
    Let’s join California and Washington to create a route for everyone on the roads to take a driving test and access car insurance. The legislature passed this with a bipartisan vote and then racists collected signatures to refer it to the ballot.

Measure 89 - Can’t abridge rights based on sex - YES

Measure 90 - Change general election nomination process - NO
    This is a tricky but important one.

It solves none of the problems it aims to solve. This is a basically a play for business interests to get business Democrats and corporate Republicans elected. This NW Labor Press article about the measure from a union perspective explains it very well. Other states with this system — Louisiana, California, Washington — have seen the costs of “primary” elections go up (a candidate has to communicate with the entire electorate, not just the candidate's party members), with no increase in voter participation among independents.

It has also led to the dreaded situation in which, say, a strongly Democratic district ends up with two Republicans in the general election! Happened in California in 2012. Imagine 4 Democrats and 2 Republicans running in the same primary where the top 2 emerge. Four Democrats split the Democratic vote into smaller pieces than the two Republicans; the two Republicans “win” the primary and proceed to the general election. Pretty crazy.

Measure 91 - Legalize marijuana - YES

Measure 92 - Label GMOs - YES
    I have some internal conflict on this, in that some of the supporters come from a dark anti-science place. There's not evidence that GMO foods are dangerous to humans.

That said, this measure wouldn't ban GMOs. It establishes labeling standards. The No campaign is exclusively huge multi-national evil agribusiness conglomerates, and I just don't see how I vote with Monsanto on anything.

Local government
    Portland - parks bond - YES

Portland - public school levy renewal - YES

Metro - Extends amendment that prohibits Metro-mandated density increases in single family neighborhoods - TOSS UP

The stakes are incredibly low for this measure, and no one is campaigning on either side of it.

This amendment was originally introduced and passed back in 2002 as an alternative to a draconian measure from anti-planning group Oregonians in Action to strip Metro of its planning authority (which failed). The measure that passed had a 12-year sunset clause and a requirement that Metro put it back on the ballot before then, so here we go again. Metro can’t dictate density increases anyway; that level of detail is up to individual cities and counties. So, a YES vote keeps Metro from doing things it can’t do anyway. And a NO vote lets this silly amendment sail off happily into the sunset. Either vote sounds fine.
  • I voted yes on 92 as well despite internal conflict. I reasoned that if GMOs are labeled, then maybe companies will be forced to discuss them and educate the public, which is better than trying to sweep them under the rug and distract, which has led to the anti-science hysteria.
  • Thanks, zin, your explanation of 4 Democrats, 2 Republicans cleared up 90 for me.
  • The entire argument against 92 seems to be "we don't want to be the only state that does stuff or stuff will be expensive!"

At one point we were the only state with a bottle deposit. I'm sure there was a ton of hand wringing and pearl clutching by business for that too. I'm a yes.
  • This post is full of VERY HELPFUL information!

I have a lot of issues r/t Clackamas Co and the city of Milwaukie (because that's where I live now... weird!) that I will likely be skipping. Only one person is running for Mayor of Milwaukie.. weird, right?

I wonder if I can drop my ballot off in Portland, though?
  • The answer is yes -- a person can drop their ballot off anywhere.
  • @FaceTweetPlus That particular No on 92 argument is especially specious considering that's been industry's argument in each state where it came up as a measure. I mean, if California's labeling measure had passed, the marginal cost for Oregon to have GMO labeling too would be nil. I also like their argument that it doesn't label *enough*. Cynical as all hell.
  • I am still very undecided on many of these! But what else is new?
  • Many? Which?
  • Well, I've voted. Still not sure how I feel about 92.