Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

NEW YEAR: NEW NAMES

edited January 2015
I'm getting so many messages about "who is diane?" "who is log_lady?" "who is swamp_knobbler13?" and it's time to return to more normal names and pics.

"THUS IT WAS DECLARED, THEY SHOULD PRESENT THEMSELVES AS TRUE, SO THAT GOD MIGHT KNOW THEIR SINS AND CONDEMN THEM." Romans 6:12

Comments

• Thus and such it shall be so, by the power vested in me by the state of Greyskull
  • ha ha ha ha
  • I was Marcello Mastroiani but I suddenly realized it's weird that I always represent myself with male names and pictures so now I'm Silvia Federici, my latest hero
  • I didn't want to make a big deal out of my presence, but OK!
  • I'm glad you're comfortable being you Miranda.
  • There never could have been confusion about me. I have always been involved with floss and logs in some combination.
  • I like to think that my identity is always clear as well due to my scintillating prose style and the epicness of my slams
  • I'm the same.
  • I thought I was identifiable, but then Mike cited me in the first post of this thread, so I guess not. I usually have a pretty good idea who everyone else is, but I did get a big mystery solved at the last minigolf tourney.
  • I forgot who I really am.
  • I don't know how to do any profile switching on this fancy iPad(I'm in Istanbul right now) but this is Shayla....if anyone wants Turkish candy let me know, it's my last day here.

• Also so psyched UrHo isn't blocked here - all of Tumblr is! And then weird things like Gawker is blocked but Jezebel isn't...fucking Erdogan man, that guy is such an asshole.
  • TURKISH DELIGHT
  • I will mail you some of the good stuff YT, once I get back!
  • I like to think my identity is also always clear, because it is always that I am an owl.
  • Sorry Mike, none of us believe in the Bible so none of us are taking your order seriously.
  • fucking Erdogan man, that guy is such an asshole.

aaaaaaaaaand now we're blocked in Turkey
  • I don't want any Turkish delight for real! It is actually very gross (to me).
    Feel free to send other Turkish delicacies I might like, OBVIOUSLY

Also pictures of you riding a horse plz

• Guys it's supposed to be a wind chill of negative 5 tomorrow
    there is a "wind chill" warning on the weather
    uh
  • I made up that bible quote.
  • edited January 2015
    romans 6 IS about sin vs righteousness though! very famous passage.
  • @kmikeym THE WHOLE THING IS MADE UP THAT'S THE WHOLE POINT
  • I was joey, then waldo, now joey again.

• Oh, so THAT'S who Waldo was!
  • edited January 2015
    redacted

• Isn't most of the bible about sin vs. righteousness?
  • which bible??
    also no. the focus on righteousness comes and goes and is often highly confusing (Book of Job)

there are also so many long stories about the proper ratios for a temple you're building, or like what to do if your friend digs a pit and your ox falls into the pit.
  • Also talking donkeys
  • and that time Jesus curses the fig tree for not having figs on it

And when Esau is hairy and red and loses his birthright when Jacob puts a goat skin on his own arm and their blind father thinks he's Esau and gives him Esau's blessing by mistake. I sure had a fun time trying to parse THAT story with my liberal atheist freshmen

and the time Cain slew Abel

I wish "slew" would come back into style as a word. I feel like we say "slay" or "slaying" a lot but never the past tense. "Slew" is a rad word
  • "How did your conference presentation go?"
    "Great, I totally slew"
  • Bring back smote
  • smote is really good too

I'm gonna smote my dog on his butt right now

Wait or is it smite? It's smite. "I'm gonna smite my dog on his butt right now." Once I have done that, I will have smote him.

tense for archaic words is hard!
  • edited January 2015
    Don't forget about Paul's diary entries about how dudes should cut their hair.

Corinthians 11:14: "Does not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame to him?"

IMPORTANT STUFF! WORDS OF GOD! CUT YOUR HAIR HIPPY!
  • my favorite is still Then he went up from there to Bethel; and as he was going up by the way, young lads came out from the city and mocked him and said to him, “Go up, you baldhead; go up, you baldhead!” When he looked behind him and saw them, he cursed them in the name of the LORD. Then two female bears came out of the woods and tore up forty-two lads of their number.
  • THAT IS THE BEST ONE

don't you have some great story where your pastor lost a bet and had to craft a sermon around that excerpt???
  • I love the specificity of female bears

surely a weird translation issue, right? although who knows
  • It's true. She did a good job with it.

I have frequently seen it translated as "SHE-BEARS".
  • actually, the sermon ended up being basically about the thing we were discussing in the other thread, postulating that Elisha didn't mean for anyone to be killed, and making it a story about how even in our attempts to fight injustice we have to be careful about collateral damage.
  • I also like that smite can mean either to hit someone or to be very attracted to someone, like smitten.
  • edited January 2015
    i wonder if smite and smut come from the same root.