Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

x

edited January 2017
x

Comments

• edited January 2017
    x
  • edited March 2015
    Where do you most often check UHX?

a) computer

What sort of (smart)phone do you have?

I don't know. iPhone something, an old one. 4g? is that a thing

Do you use UHX just "once a day" or do you check in multiple times a day?

during work days, probably once a day. On off days more often

Do you find the number of participants and the speed of the conversation on UHX:

b) about right.

*honestly, I like the ebb and flow, where sometimes it's super slow and other times it blows up

How important is UHX to your digital life?

d) very important

*since leaving pdx for grad school ages ago UHX has been a real lifeline

If you were the "Mark Zuckerdude" of UHX, what hot new features would you develop for UHX?

I am a Luddite and set in my ways so I would say "none." I find it extremely, extremely difficult to adjust to changes in interfaces and I don't understand most online things, including slack, reddit, and metafilter. I guess I would say I would hesitate to model uhx on anything related to reddit because I have gathered that is the source of all the earth's evil

I don't feel like I need "more content" from these people. I think of uhx as a place to hang out
  • edited March 2015

a) computer

Iphone 4 thingy

Sometimes once, sometimes a few x

Do you find the number of participants and the speed of the conversation on UHX:

b) about right.
    Can't make people talk! It's chill. Ebb and flow. At times it's been more active, but what can you do?

d) very important
    Like YT, I'm far away so it's a good place to check in on my dudes.

If you were the "Mark Zuckerdude" of UHX, what hot new features would you develop for UHX?
    Dunno? This poll was kinda fun?
  • I have to say, this seems like an inefficient way to capture data, Mike.

a) computer

iPhone4

Usually once a day, sometimes more

It varies dramatically. a) a bit low right now. But I just want people to comment on the housing thread 24/7, so I'm insatiable.

d) very important - I like all these people and value their opinions and would rarely if ever even speak to them if not for UHX.

I would have a whole separate section JUST for housing topics. Everything house. It would have a map to all of our houses (would have to be secure) and lots of cool features that let us share what we are growing in our gardens and how much it cost to get the furnace fixed and who is looking for a house right now and who is trying to sell a house right now (yeah right), etc. etc.

(JK! That should just be my own thing. I will not subject you to it, UHX.)

• Where do you most often check UHX?
    a) computer

iPhone 5

Multiple times at work

a) a bit low.

c) somewhat important

fart soundboard
  • I second fart soundboard,
    also pizza delivery button like in world of warcraft or whatever where you can type "/dominos" and pizza comes to your house

a) computer

Iphone 4gs

Usually once.

a) a bit low.

d) very important

Hmmm. One of the great things about UHX is that it is pretty thoughtful. With fewer new topics than your average forum, new topics are more meaningful. There have been times where I might have wanted to post a quick thing, but didn't because it wasn't "worthy" of a new topic - so maybe an area for quick posts? I suppose I'm asking to have a UHX only twitter ;)

a) computer

iPhone 5s

Multiple

b) about right.

c) somewhat important

Ummm.... randomly switch everyone's user name every day.

a) computer

iPhone 5C

about 4x/week. sometimes I get out of the habit but then I am glad to come back.

b) about right.

No complaints, but no strong feelings either. More content for the sake of more content is not a bonus to me, though. The most important part of UHX for me is maintaining enough IRL connections to keep the tone friendly and respectful, and have more basis for responding to people than just what they type.

d) very important

I don't have any needs or ideas that come to mind.

computer

iphone 5

a couple of times a day when I'm at work; occasionally on weekends

about right

very important

I would have all (almost all) uhx participants past and present continue to contribute to the board forever and ever. I miss RCH, James, Gary, etc. posting on the regular. I don't post a ton but I keep up on all the threads. I don't need any new features. UHX matters to me.
  • No wait, I thought of something for the Mark Zuckerdude question. I would not let anybody change their names! Or at least prohibit changing names to confusing things.

I really hate it! Just when I've figured out who everybody is, all of a sudden you are all strangers to me. If I wanted that, I'd go hang out on some dumb anonymous internet message board.

I think people overestimate how easy it is to figure out who you are based on your style/opinions/avatar. It is not easy. Either that or I am dumber than the rest of you. But 100% serious-like, it really diminishes the entire point of UHX for me, which is connecting to a community I know both offline and online.
  • Agreed- it's funny and fun, but at this point I have no idea who most people are, and I stopped changing my name ages ago so I would be identifiable to those with even a teeny bit of knowledge.
  • I think it's so funny and fun but I also have a hard time telling who anyone is. It doesn't bother me but I can see why it could be bothersome/upsetting!
  • My Mark Zuckerdude suggestion is can the UHX overlords hack into the global internet and bring down capitalism? That'd be great. No other suggestions
  • IS THIS OBVIOUS ENOUGH
  • I switched to using my real name because I was sick of the games.
  • edited March 2015

a) computer

Android OnePlus One (OPO)

Once-a-day (average)

b) about right.

d) very important, pretty much the only comment stream/forum I read these days except Stumptownfooty and occasional OLive comment threads when I want to reinvigorate my sense of despair for the human race.

"If you liked this thread you may also like..." and maybe similar feature for posting so that before you start a new thread it brings up any that you might want to just add to before starting a new one.

Would also be nice to integrate into the blog posts a bit more, maybe have the most recent UrHo X posts on the left/right nav. Maybe a running twitter feed comprising tweets from anyone who adds their twitter handle.

Maybe a survey feature so Mike doesn't have to comb through all this text?
  • MIKE LOVES IT
  • I thought, as an internet-minded gentlemen of 2015, I was being silly in how I was only using UHX on my computer, and not on my phone. I'm glad you all use it on the computer as well.

a) computer

iPhone 6(-)

a couple of times per day during the week; maybe once per day on weekends

b) about right.

c) somewhat important

Similar to what some others have said, I like the current level of features -- simple and effective.

a) computer

iPhone 5

Do you use UHX just “once a day” or do you check in multiple times a day?

Multiple on week days.

b) about right.

c) somewhat important

If you were the “Mark Zuckerdude” of UHX, what hot new features would you develop for UHX?

Make the CSS like the old CSS.

a) computer

iPhone 5s

Do you use UHX just “once a day” or do you check in multiple times a day?

About once a day

b) about right.

d) very important

If you were the “Mark Zuckerdude” of UHX, what hot new features would you develop for UHX?

It would be cool if it worked really well on iPhones. Mobile notifications of new posts. Swipe to like! Swipe to hide! Insert photo from Camera Roll! Meerkat livestreaming.

a) computer

iphone 6

once a week

b) about right.

b) barely important

more puzzles, games, surveys and quizzes
  • edited March 2015

a) computer

iphone six

A few times a week.

a) a bit low.

e) all of my digital life (outside of work) is pretty unimportant to me

Eliminate likes. Allow text color and font-size changes.
  • I liked this post ^
    a) computer

iphone5c

4-8 times per week

somewhere between a) a bit low & b) about right.

somewhere between c) somewhat important & d) very important

-iphone app (i think i see where this is going).
    -easier to post images and videos.

• I feel like I've only checked UHX from my phone once or twice. Is that weird?
    a) computer

Sony Experia - Android

Once a day

b) about right.

c) somewhat important

A UHX Feed on the main page of the UrHo site.
  • edited March 2015
    If I was the Mark Zuckerdude, I would ask all these people who are posting in here but not in other threads to post more often! :)
  • they can do whatever they want!! LET THEM BE WHO THEY ARE

• OMG another Android user. FINALLY.

Another idea, threads older than x months become member only.

Edit: And another! Enable robots no-follow if not already.
  • Threads that get big without my early involvement overwhelm me. I stay away.
  • I love those!!

a) computer

HTC ONE

In this phase of participation a month might go by.

a) a bit low.

More light-heated quipping would be good.

More surveys.

More Gary.

I like when people speak of radical change of one kind or another.

c) somewhat important

I have high regard/interest in the way some people move text here.

The collective memory is very rich.

Monetized streaming.

• Checking in from phone... RESIST!