Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Portland rent

2»

Comments

• I don't know if it will "change you" but it's really fun. Also I realized today that the more I come here, the more I get the feeling that America's mostly doing most things wrong.
  • If nothing else, America should at least be open to the possibility that there are different ways to do things. Too many people have never left the country and experienced how taking a different approach to something doesn't mean everything falls into chaos and anarchy.

I think that's heavily tied into the Jesus stuff as well. Either you do it His way or you BURN FOREVER.
  • edited September 2015
    I don't think going to Europe would probably change many of those people, but I think there are a lot of Americans like myself who have never been but still know there are lots of countries who do things better. Also America is pretty huge and even within our country lots of places do it better than other places like Oregon vs like Lousiana.

I do have some vague plans to visit friends in Prague next April!
  • It still baffles me that some of the obvious good things (like certain appliances or whatever) haven't been adopted here. One food example: how come everyone in Asia makes their own yogurt and here we do not? It's so simple! And yet, I am one of the ones who does not, so what do I know?
  • it will change you into someone who appreciates Americans' diligence about picking dog shit up off the sidewalk, if that's what you mean
  • OH BEAUTIFUL FOR SPACIOUS SKIES
  • YES, the two worst things about Europe are ciggies and dog shit.
  • European smoking is next-level, but honestly, you haven't SEEN smoking until you've gone to Japan.

Not sure what it's like now but I was in Japan in like 2001 and people were still smoking IN OFFICES, like, at work, sitting at their desks. It was fucking epic
  • Well...my favorite bar just went down. Evicted by the landlord. Division is really becoming the Pearl. It sucks.
  • Dang. Which bar was it?
  • edited October 2015
    Eugenios. Still will be there til the end of the year I guess.
  • Division scares the heck out of me.
  • Growing pains are better than death pangs?
  • We have a government policy of tax breaks for landlords. Say you own a rental worth 340,000 sitting on land worth 200,000. Federal income tax law assumes that the building is depreciating on a 34 year straight line schedule. So you can deduct 10,000 a year from the rent income for tax purposes. Obviously your building is not depreciating, it is appreciating!

If you are in a neighborhood with low valuations in 94-95, your valuation reset to the value at the time, then can only rise 3%/year. So high valuation 94-96 neighborhoods subsidized gentrification in low value neighborhoods like N, NE, SE. In Cali, the valuation resets when the property is sold.

Rental property is often held in a corporation, so the cash out can be taken in dividends taxed at a lower capital gains rate. The beauty of rentals is that the owners can sell the property to cash out as they retire.

Why landlords are extra greedy now? They are going for blood aka it is the invisible hand of the market. The issue: it is happening as he middle class is being hollowed out.
  • My valuation went way up when I bought my house. Doubled the taxes.
  • edited October 2015
    Was there remodeling involved, maybe by previous owners? That adjusts valuation up. But you are not required to allow county valuation inspectors inside the house. Like I do not consent to a search. Realestate photo websites and building permit public records could defeat.
  • I manage a small apartment building here in Anacortes, but the landlord resides in Portland. I don't think he understands the housing situation here. Apartments are very hard to come by, especially for less than $1000/mo (quite expensive for a small town).

He just informed me that he wants to kick all of the tenants out (including a handicapped woman who could not feasibly find a new place and then move in the allotted 30 days), furnish them, and turn them into Air BnBs.

I'm morally opposed, but what can be done? Landlords, man.
  • Neighborhoods are about narrative. Even Airbnbers are interested in the narrative of the building and the town. Perhaps the landlord can preserve you and the disabled person to relate the narrative? Brand value etc.
  • Yeah, it was remodeled. No, I didn't let the government guy inside when he came around.

Out of curiosity, I looked into the valuation appeals process at the time and it's no fun.
  • I love the small home movement! Helped a friend on construction. It would be cool to have legal sanitary sewer connections in a driveway or back yard. For food carts too.

I think about land valuation appeals, since I'm an outlier in my neighborhood, but refrain because it is no doubt a PITA.

BTW Small homes are a great solution for homeless individuals.
  • edited October 2015
    If UHers are interested in a beautiful registered historic NoPo room rental near UofP Nov 1 by some friends of mine and you vibe an interest in art and music, PM me. Hahaha, it was used as a Grimm set.
  • I'm interested in a very sunlit (lots of windows, white walls) space for meeting with clients. Northeast.

• I'm going to chime in!

I just got a pretty decent/well lit daylight basement for $925 in SE off of Ankeny/30th. Prior to when I moved in, my friend had lived there for 3 years.. the landlord never raised the rent (It was previously $850). I feel like the rent adjustment is fair. All bills are included and water and all that. It even has a gas stove (which was furnished by landlord, not by me! :) )

I also know several people (3 I can think of) who are in a move-out situation due to their houses being put on the market. GROSS guys.

It's almost cheaper to live in an assisted living and have someone provide 3 meals a day and medication management than it is to live in a decent apartment in "inner Portland."