Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Choice Anxiety

edited March 2011
Always been my biggest downfall. Like when you have so many choices that it's hard to figure out what to do and you have trouble doing anything. How do people deal? I sometimes will just force myself to do something/anything, but sometimes it paralyzes my productivity. Sometimes I get it when homework has super vague parameters. Sometimes I will get it socially as in "There are so many things I could say right now. Which one do I choose?". Usually it's on days where my brain feels like it's moving at a million miles an hour. Maybe some meditation? Maybe a shrink? Does anybody else get this?

Comments

• I only get this when I'm shopping for toothpaste or deodorant. Personal Hygiene Paralysis is the medical name for this phenomenon, I believe.
  • neuroses are a silly pain in the keyster
  • I don't get this but I know this is a common malady of Modern Life.
    People didn't used to have so many choices so they just kind of got on with things.
    Now we are all obsessed with never letting any door close, so to speak.
    I think of the Tarot card the 7 of cups which is about not letting your choices have control over you.
    If you let them paralyze you then you will be unhappy and make many wrong choices as well.
    I don't know how you conquer this fear!
    Maybe meditation. Maybe speed-writing exercises where you just write whatever comes into your mind without judgment, then from there slowly build to speaking without agonizing over each word?
  • WHEN IN DOUBT, DO IT ALL

(has always been my mantra for decision making*)

(* but as i am getting older i am starting to question that strategy)

• As bigmac can attest, I face choice anxiety about every five minutes. If you find a solution, please let me know.
  • It is calming to know that there are other people out there with this same issue. There was a point where I got really into John Cage's idea of using the I Ching to determine the outcome of chance events. I still rely heavily on aleatoric means in my daily functioning.