Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

emergency kit!

edited March 2011
in light of the recent tragedy in Japan, and the fact that Oregon pretty much has the exact same kind of fault just off its coastline, I was thinking it would be smart to make a disaster emergency kit. there are the obvious things that places like the Red Cross suggest, but I am trying to brainstorm and think up other would-be-needed items.

for instance, assuming that service wasn't interrupted, i could imagine that my cell phone would be vital to have. but that would only be good for as long as the battery was good, so i'd need my charger as well. i also know that i get pathetically weak and headachey when i don't have coffee, so maybe some instant coffee or caffeine pills would be good (though perhaps the adrenaline of a disaster trumps caffeine withdrawals?)

what else? I admit that I'd probably be pretty useless in the case of an emergency or disaster (luckily my girlfriend is a hard-core nature survivalist and trained in CPR!!!)

Comments

• I'd like to one day be prepared like Ben Saunders, polar explorer.
  • instant coffee is a great call, as is spare charger (and even phone??) stashed in a kit. Sometimes I lay awake at night thinking of disaster or just regular house fire, and all the shit I'd have to grab to maintain even a basic toe-hold in my life. Rushing around unplugging the charger, trying to figure out where you put your wallet, etc. etc., would not be great. It would be so great to have one key box to grab. This would also free you up to go for sentimentals like Teddy Bear, picture of mother on wedding day, or dog (just kidding: dog is family, he goes out the door first, even before wallet, obviously)

It's so legit that computer stuff (docs at least, don't know about other stuff) can be backed up with shit like Dropbox or even just a flashdrive on your keychain. One less thing to have to freak out about in the event.

I would also suggest copies of drivers license/passport, to stick into the emergency kit. You obviously can't leave your wallet in there.

DVD of "Wet Hot American Summer"

Seriously though: Some cash? Like fifty bucks? I don't know

hard copy of phone numbers--parents, partner, family, friends, landlord--in the event your phone doesn't work (or no cell phones work, like what if it is an asteroid???) and you have to use a "pay phone," whatever that is

TAMPONS

CIGARETTES FOR BARTERING IN THE POST-APOCALYPTIC WORLD

CONTACT SOLUTION

• do they make portable solar battery-chargers? That would be legit

what if there's nowhere to even plug your shit in?

I guess if that's the case, we're getting into territory where you wouldn't really need your cell phone anymore, anyway.

zombie apocalypse territory

which reminds me:

HATCHET
  • edited March 2011
    I got two things in mine -
    Whiskey
    Cyanide pills
  • I'm scared.
    :(
  • Just realized that I don't know my parents' phone numbers by heart.

My childhood home phone number, yes. But not their current cell phones.
  • Y'all I been keeping the big jugs that my orange juice comes in so I can fill them with water and be prepared. I also have hand-crank flashlights, a sleeping bag, and my grill has a tank of propane, so maybe I'm good?
  • totally don't know my parents' numbers!!! emo.

hand-crank stuff is a great call, also jugs for water.

-iodine tablets for purifying water
    -lara bars
    -stockpiled antibiotics
  • edited December 2011
    kisses
  • LIPSTICK
    THIGH MASTER
    THOSE JEANS THAT MAKE MY BUTT LOOK HOT

MAJOR PRIORITY OF DYSTOPIAN FUTURE WILL BE BREEDING

I WANT THE REAL STUDS
  • wait, which reminds me, in all seriousness:
    CONDOMS
    for all the raping. If movies set in post-apocalyptic futures have taught us anything it is that all remaining women will be immediately herded up into massive sex slave harems

which reminds me

HANDGUN
  • You could stockpile those anti-rape condoms which have barbs in order to shred the phallus. http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-20008347-10391704.html Hmm, I guess they don't break the skin? That sucks.

Guns will be a total necessity. Not just handguns. Full on automatic machine guns and shit. The Road is our guide.
  • edited December 2011
    good books
  • Didn't the bad guys in the road have the most weapons? The people with the most weapons have all the power.

We will also need a cool hidden bomb shelter with Doritos and Mtn Dew.
  • the Man in the Road had a gun with ONE BULLET that he was saving for when he needed to kill his child.

I don't really remember the status of guns in that book. Doesn't the Man get shot in the leg with a flare at one point? Or is it an arrow, and he RETALIATES with a flare gun? I can't remember. And do the cannibals on that flat-bed semi-truck have guns or do they just have the power of greater numbers??

I feel like a mastery of bow and arrow would be better than gun because pretty quick all the bullets are gonna be snapped up.

It also depends on if the disaster leaves most of humanity intact (the Road)
    or if it decimates humanity (The Stand, etc.)

in the one, resources are a major problem, thus massive competition
    in the other, you have all the resources you could ever need, and I guess the major problem is loneliness?

But you need a way bigger emergency kit for option A than for option B

• The dad gets shot in the leg with a bow and arrow and he shoots the flare up into the building.

I thought the cannibals had guns, but now that I'm thinking about it, they probably just had DIY weapons and the power of greater numbers. Either way, you probably want something that will help you avoid hand-to-hand combat. Ammo/arrows are key.
  • Or badass slingshot could be good
    atlatl
    blowgun
    vagina dentata
  • i think i'll take the whiskey and cyanide route if things get as dark as The Road. us urban liberal pinkos won't stand a chance in that world, while all the NRA survivalists will be laughing at us (just before they eat us) - Sarah Palin will become the supreme leader and hell on earth will have officially begun. NO THANK YOU

I am struggling with what to put the emergency kit in. a backpack makes more sense if you have to run away in a hurry (leaving your hands available to ride a bike, dig out of a mess, help someone walk, etc) but then you can't put nearly as much stuff in the pack as you can a big box.

I also think that bicycle supplies are a great call.

also also, the movie The Road is very excellent if you haven't seen it.
  • edited December 2011
    burps
  • Maybe an escape pod so I could chill in space while all the shit goes down.
  • BOOK THE ROAD = AMAZING
    Everything CC writes is amazing though
    I didn't see the movie. It's hard for me to see adaptations of books that are really meaningful to me, although I love Viggo.

I think backpack is a great call, for all the reasons you list. It can be a big backpack!
  • an excellent primer to post-apocalyptic willamette valley living (book 3 is titled A Meeting In Corvallis)....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dies_the_Fire

• Hmm, I have an 18-month-old dude. I think this makes things more challenging. Does "collapsible playpen" qualify as an emergency supply?
  • "BABY MEDICINE"
  • meg and i started working on our emergency kits today and it's really complicated and stressful. there are just so many different things you realize you are not at all prepared for, and then further realizing that the preparation for such things is completely different. like, water isn't going to be of much use if you cut yourself and you are badly bleeding, but a bunch of bandages aren't going to help you if it's cold and wet and you don't have any clothing, but clothing isn't going to help you if you're dehydrated and starving. I AM STARTING TO REALIZE WHY SOME DUDES TAKE THIS SHIT REAL SERIOUSLY.

one very important thing i did learn, however: (factory) bottled water, even in plastic, will stay good for several years as long as the seal is not broken. but water that you bottle yourself, that isn't vacuum-sealed and done in perfect sanitary situations, will only be good for two weeks before funky bacterias start to grow in it. water that has been sitting in plastic bottles for a very long time might start to taste funny, but at least according to the FDA is still safe to drink. so if you are thinking you should stash away some water in your bomb shelter, use store bought bottled water that hasn't been opened.
  • but that's why I said IODINE TABLETS

this is how you have water on, like, crazy outward bound-style backpacking trips.

Find a source of water--rain, river--put some iodine tabs in, boom, its purified.

crucial!

unless you are envisioning a dystopian vibe where all the water is dried up and the earth is a smoking hot wasteland, in which case, yeah.

that's really interesting about bottled water, though! I really am surprised by that.

Y'all, there is this store right near me SPECIFICALLY FOR APOCALYPSE SUPPLIES!!

Haven't gone in yet.
  • Oh, they even have a website. SO PREPARED!

http://www.portlandprepared.com/
  • edited March 2011
    Don't worry about it. Sam Adams will work it out. Just work on making your work. This is why we pay taxes.
  • edited March 2011
    Our own Adrian Chen's father is an expert on these matters: http://www.wptz.com/r/27222078/detail.html
  • This article makes me worry a bit for I've never been in an earthquake.

http://www.helium.com/items/2117269-magnetic-field-changes-signal-major-quake-for-west-coast
  • I've been in enough small ones to know I truly never want to be in a big one.
    fucking terrifying.
    Also GLOBAL NUCLEAR DISASTER, anyone? Do you love how Japan is like "EVERYTHING IS FINE. PLEASE DON'T LOOK OVER HERE" but then nuclear inspectors are like "RADIATION DANGER MAXIMUM" and "EVACUATE IMMEDIATELY" and "MASSIVE RADIOACTIVE CLOUD HEADED FOR CALIFORNIA" but then U.S. health officials are like "PROBABLY POSES NO DANGER"

that's one of the more troubling "probably"s you'll ever hear in your life

great job on not realizing how scary nuclear power is, World. "Well yes, if anything damaged the reactor there would be a hideous global disaster, but what could possibly damage the reactor? That's never gonna happen, high fives"

Guess what, I realized that when I was like 9.

"WHY IS EVERYONE ON EARTH SUCH A GODDAMN IDIOT?"--David Rees
  • "Now the earthquake prognosticator admits he's worried about the prospects of a strong quake hitting the West Coast of the US sometime during March 2011, particularly around March 19th."

whoah! two more days!! good thing my emergency kit is almost ready!
  • That earthquake guy speaks on Fox a lot. That's all you need to know, really.

The quake will come someday, as will death.

In the meantime, watch out for cars. Cars are fucking scary.
  • "End Times"
  • Do you stop driving if you're in your car during an earthquake?
  • This comment on Metafilter has a different view of survival preparedness:
    But here's the main point: "Preparing" for the disaster really didn't do anyone much good. Those who "prepared" ate a little better for a while. They stayed warmer for a few extra days. They enjoyed the radio for a while longer (via batteries.) But in the end, they ended up hungry, cold and bored too, just like the rest of us. Guns and weapons helped no one directly and were even of little to no use in the defense of Sarajevo, since they were toys compared to the shells, bombs and high-powered armaments of the attacking forces. The worst parts of war were psychological - the fear, anxiety, boredom, loneliness, paranoia, bad dreams. Respite from those things came with sharing food with a neighbor, finding a piece of clothing that would fit someone you knew, commiserating with others in your position, figuring out how to make make-up from brick or french fries from wheat paste and spreading this newly-acquired war knowledge around the mahala.
    Also, obviously nuclear energy is dangerous, but it's not worse than gas/oil/coal. With oil spills, global warming, and other environmental and health dangers, they've caused more trouble than nuclear energy. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go nuclear. But those are pretty shitty choices, I admit.
  • "Do you stop driving if you're in your car during an earthquake? "

Do this:

• I have been in some big earthquakes!
    Moved to LA and a couple months later there was a 7.3 out in the desert and that was in the middle of the night and pretty crazy. Waking up and being disoriented and eventually realizing what's happening. Later that day there was like a 6.5 and I remember that one happening and the lighting fixtures swaying crazily and just looking at my mom and being like "What have we gotten ourselves into" (the LA Riots happened like 1 month after we moved there as well. GREAT TIMING!)

Then there was the big Northridge quake a couple years later, and that one was closer to the city and killed like 70 people. My best friend's sister lived real close to the epicenter and their apartment got totaled and so we helped her salvage and move out and that was a trip, seeing all the damage.

If you are driving you are actually less likely to feel the earthquake. I drove through a couple in my day. I think I actually knew it was happening one time I was driving. You could tell if it was a big one. You would probably want to slow down and it was be much more awesome if you weren't on a bridge, overpass, elevated road.

I have heard some interviews with that predictor dude, he's a total dummy. He was predicting a huge quake in Cali a couple months ago and some big people on twitter Retweeted him and people started to freak out. Then when the day passed that he predicted he just kept amending and saying it would happen in a couple days. He's a kook!

It is a crazy time for quakes we've had 2 of the 5 biggest quakes since they've started recording (1890ish) in the last year, but earthquakes have always happened on this planet. Check out this list of historical quakes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_earthquakes
    The planet rumbles. It's crazy and in some ways great that humans can't tame it in anyway.

• Once again uncleboatshoes, you ease my soul. I will remain off bridges during quakes.
  • I've slept through many a earthquake.
  • waterproof matches
    candles
    solar/crank charging/ battery/charger/radio/flashlight/strobe device
    100 MRE rations
    water tablets
    100 feet of twine
    40 feet nylon rope
    10 lighters
    1 dzn sterno cans
    2 tiny emergency mylar blankets

also

a storage unit off of the "main grid" ie that you can get to without taking a major highway

this storage unit should have a padlock

this is where you keep your duplicates of valuables, information, pictures, further survival needs like an ax, more rope, a shot-gun and DIY shells/gun powder
    things for re-building survival life outside of the city

your safety deposit box should be in a small rural town in a local bank a day's hike away, not in a downtown bank

all digital data will wash away and disappear within less than a decade

if you care about something, make it physical via printing, even optical media (dvd) is maybe not the way to go. unless you keep a drive that can read the media along with the storage media

DAT DATA DUMPS

DOCUMENTS, PICTURES, BOOKS AND VINYL RECORDS, in plastic sleeves, or in airtight containers

DIGITAL VIDEO DISCS & VHS TAPES AND PLAYERS KEPT AWAY FROM MAGNETS

• YOU WILL NEED A GOOD PAIR OF SHOES
  • AND A SATELITE PHONE
  • DO NOT HOG YOUR RATIONS

THE GOVERNMENT WILL NOT SUPPORT YOU WITH RICE BAG DROPS FOR AT LEAST 2 WEEKS AND POSSIBLY NEVER