Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

bin laden

edited May 2011
is apparently dead!

how do you feel? I feel basically nothing.

Comments

• Came home late last night to a message from my father-in-law on the answering machine asking if I thought this had anything to do with the Canadian election today.
    I really don't think so!
    But we hadn't heard the news so both of us jumped on the computer to read about people gathering at the White House and Ground Zero to chant "USA! USA! USA!" with fists pumping.
    I mean, it feels weird to think of America's number one enemy/scape goat being shot dead, but it also makes me feel like some people have no class/self-respect.
    This isn't really the end of anything. But it's a symbol of something...

We had spent the night talking about Obama's comedic sense over the weekend and him making fun of Donald Trump in a very enjoyable way after all that birth certificate crap. I think Obama made a lot of people laugh and sort of regained his dignity in the public eye. Then Osama was killed and Obama looks like a hero.
    I hope it will be useful in the next election.

Canadian election: Something amazing and unexpected might happen today!
  • I heard Dan Savage talking about the Canadian election!!! Keep us posted with data and your thoughts!

Yeah the "USA" chanting is always such a bummer. "YEAH! WE TOOK TEN YEARS TO FINALLY SHOOT SOMEONE IN THE FACE, SHOOTING IN THE FACE IS BADASS"

also is it me or is his "burial at sea" sort of fishy? Come on!
  • edited May 2011
    burial at sea = fishy (!)

But if you think about it, where else could they bury the guy?
    Anywhere humanly accessible would make a weird gnarly shrine to the prophet or a tomb relentlessly desecrated...
    I think dude is going to be remembered for centuries to come as some sort of saintly warrior figure by a lot of people. He had a very calm demeanor and was very polite, whatever effect he actually had on the world.
    He had that Jesus charm and sticks right out of photographs like Rasputin.
    It always felt eerie to watch him speak. Like some guy wearing an elaborate costume.

EDIT/CORRECTION: Our friend's fifteen year-old daughter got a text from HER FRIEND (another fifteen year-old) who upon hearing the news asked "Who is Osama bin Laden?". Our friend's daughter is smart and in the know.
  • oh, good calls on the shrine issue!!

TEENAGE DAUGHTER NOT KNOWING!

Time fucking flies. I remember that shit like it was yesterday. But so weird that you could conceivably be like sixteen years old and not remember it at all. Holy cow.
  • edited May 2011

though i'm not exactly popping bottles and making it rain, i'm pretty impressed with some of the snarky commentary/pictures these creative trolls have released to the intertoobs.
  • Lots of younger teens were tweeting "Who is Osama Bin Laden?"