Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Canadian Elections.

edited May 2011
Guys.
Something is up.
The left-leaning political party I have always voted for, the NDP, is unexpectedly gaining popularity (at least in the polls). They are even gaining popularity in Québec, my homeland, which took years to achieve.
This is the fourth election Canada has had in seven years.
I can no longer vote in Canada because I live here.
And I can't vote here either.
I have been turned into the anarchist I wanted to be when I was a teenager, sort of against my will.
But now the man I wanted to have as a Prime Minister might become the Prime Minister.
Please cross your fingers today and think of Jack Layton.
Do it for Canada!
Do it for the children!

Comments

• oh here are your thoughts/interpretations!

This is very awesome. JACK LAYTON
  • We (this YACHT tour) are in Canada. We were in Montreal yesterday (my first time) and Katy and I had fun imagining you in your former home. The election posters were everywhere. Something was in the air.
  • DREAMBOAT YOUNG JACK LAYTON

• IT'S BRUTAL!

The Conservatives seem to have obtained a majority government pretty solidly, which is the worst outcome.

But THEN, the NDP is going to be their opposition. The Liberals are losing big. We are going to have a very right/left government with almost no center.
    It's very surreal how many seats the NDP got in Québec. The Bloc Québécois, which is the sovereignist party, almost has been swept off the map altogether. It's amazing/crazy. Many of the NDP's elected candidates in Québec are very young and/or virtually unknown. People really wanted to change things drastically.

This means these things (to me):

-Québec is going to have very little representation in the actual government of Canada.
    -The idea of Québec separating is going to become more of a reality for more people.
    -Shit social/environmental/military policies for all Canadians.
    -Less funding for the arts.
  • edited May 2011
    The French-Canadian news guy just said it straight up (roughly translated):
    "People are worried. Not so much about social issues like abortion, the death penalty and same-sex marriage. Stephen Harper is not going to go back on those things. But he is going to have to give some candy to his base. People are worried about funding for CBC/Radio-Canada, the National Film Board and Canada Council for the Arts. We all know that the conservatives don't have much of a cultural culture. They are largely people who watch American television."

Ha!

I read in a book about Degrassi Jr. High/Degrassi High that Canadian identity is hard to define. All we know is that Canadians often define themselves as "not Americans".
  • Oh GOD. Harper has a majority. I am sorry :(. A bummer for your country.

Still, a Green got elected! And how about that NDP?

What the FUCK happened to the Bloc Québécois? It's so crazy!
  • edited May 2011
    Dude seriously. Holy crow.
    My gut was in knots reading your post! I know that "sitting up hearing election results and wanting to barf" feeling.
    Quebec (don't know how to do accents on this shitty PC) separatism is so intense. I am now re-reading Infinite Jest in which Quebec separatism is a major plot point/arc/cast of characters and I'm remembering how I had never really thought about it one way or the other until the first time I read Infinite Jest, and how that's kind of sad. But then I learned more about it from reading that awesome 33 1/3 book about Celine Dion.

I forget why I am telling you this. I haven't slept much in 2 days and have my period.

But seriously, this far right/far left thing is going to be very interesting/bizarre.

I just read a book about a Canadian filmmaker I love and the author has this great line that reminds me of your Degrassi statement, that's like (paraphrasing) "Canadians are very sensitive to differences between Canadians and Americans that nobody else can see, including Americans." And how this has made it hard for English-speaking Canada to develop its own unique film culture, since average Canadians just want to watch Hollywood films but if a Canadian tries to make a "Hollywood" film, audiences are like THIS ISN'T A HOLLYWOOD FILM!!!!!

• What happened to the Bloc Québécois is the end of an era, at least for a few years. I am not a separatist, but I am also not fully against separation. I would never vote for it, but it's a very complicated issue. It can be very sentimental. Last night when Gilles Duceppe (the leader of the Bloc) gave his resignation, there were a lot of loud mouths and a lot of people tearing up.
    He was being very diplomatic but people were booing the other parties a lot. I know a few separatists who hate Canada so much that the shittiest government in power suits them. Frustration might give them a new country asap.
    Separatism in not only a belief, it's a lifestyle. When I was a kid every kid I knew was a separatist, including myself. Our parents firmly believed that separatism was the only true solution, there was only one issue that mattered. And it's understandable, they lived through decades of poverty and unfair treatment at the hands of English-speaking factory owners and businessmen. Fighting to speak their language. The eighties were especially rough for my parents' generation. No jobs. Things have changed but many people still want to think of themselves as repressed by something greater than their own self.
    It's irritating to me.

The popularity of the Bloc and its presence in Ottawa allowed a lot of people to feel like at least their views were represented in front of the rest of Canada. They were a constant reminder that Québec hoped to get out, every election the issue was brought up once again. I am so sick of it and that is what the popularity of the NDP in Québec means. It's very clear, people are saying "Let's take care of other stuff, let's participate.".

• There is a scandal in Canada right now about one of the NDP candidates:

She is a twenty-seven year old single mom, co-owner of a pub in Ottawa. She was running for the NDP as a "post", just representing the party in an area where they figured they wouldn't win. She has never set foot in the area she was representing.
    She hardly speaks any French (not enough to give a speech or interview) , event though the area the party chose for her is largely unilingual, only French-Speaking (I read that it was as high as 97% of the population somewhere).
    Right before the election she left for a vacation in Las Vegas instead of campaigning because she got such a good deal and the press has not heard from her since.

Turns out she beat the Bloc Québecois incumbent by a wide margin (5816 votes)!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/video/video-when-will-ruth-ellen-meet-the-press/article2009569/?from=2009898