Sort of the opposite of floss's cool thread
  • Scott Adams (the Dilbert guy) is totally a rape apologist and it is bumming me out. How does he not realize what he is saying? It is so horrible. To me, it is the same as saying that the monster who killed that boy was just following his urges or whatever. Very dark.

http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/feature/2011/06/20/scott_adams_dilbert_rape_remarks/index.html
    http://jezebel.com/5813290/dilbert-creator-scott-adams-weighs-in-on-rape-now
  • yeah why is this guy all of a sudden turning into his own talking head? dilbert needs to shut up and hate mondays
  • I've definitely come to dislike him based on this and other ridiculously moronic things he has said. His position usually seems to boil down to: "It's a genius thing, you wouldn't understand."

PUHLEASE.
  • Well he's half right.
  • I guess it freaked me out since Dilbert was one of the comics I read every morning. I don't want that weirdness/awfulness seeping into my life.

Or like, I get so shocked and surprised when people think like this actually. It bums me out. A month or so ago there was this twitter argument thing where one side was saying there should be more women speakers at design / web conferences and the other side arguing something dumb.

Or like the christian book wild at heart.
  • lately i've been somehow seeing modern man's hatred of women in a new light, as evidence of his TERROR rather than his thoughtlessness or shittiness. The GOP's war on women? Fear-based! FEAR. And when you are feared you are powerful, even as you are still shit upon. And that power grows and grows.

I think the modern man is fucking terrified of women, of women's changing place in society, etc., because he has never been called upon to define himself as merely one type in a myriad of types. He's just what "person" means. Now that others are claiming person status, what is "man?" Once "man" is no longer the normative, what is he? He has no identity beyond the subjugation of other identities. He's so afraid of losing his place in the world because without that place he has no cultural self. So he lashes out, he joins the conceptual lynch mob, violently seeking to retard social change. This happened during the Civil Rights movement, when "black man" sought to enter the normative category of "man."

Now it's the ladies' turn. Every single article in Salon's Broadsheet, e.g., has this immense cadre of male trolls posting the most insanely hateful, vitriolic anonymous comments; Sady Doyle is always getting emails about how she needs to be raped; etc. You should hear about some of the things dudes anonymously say to JH when she dares to, like, say something rude about Vampire Weekend. As long as a woman is talking about children or makeup it's cool but if she steps out into traditional male domains (criticism, theory, political deconstruction) THE DUDES HATE IT. Not even just conservative dudes! Sady Doyle gets hate mail from rabid liberal progressive dudes. Or e.g. the aforementioned male Vampire Weekend fans--not generally republicans! The hatred of women is nonpartisan, because it's about male identity rather than political identity.

It's horrible, but in one abstract sense it's kind of heartening, since people only behave that way when they are threatened and terrified and lashing out, like when you step on a slimy sting ray. If they didn't feel threatened, they wouldn't lash out. And they wouldn't feel threatened if we weren't winning.

• I think it is true that everyone has a role in their heads that people should play that is mostly based on the way someone looks (i.e. sex, race, other features). It sucks but is maybe true. Some people are just caught up in old plays and when a woman or whoever steps out of the play's script they get shitty. Most people just need to have everything categorized or put into roles, and this works for plants or foods maybe, but does not work for people, art, music, etc. Maybe it's because life feels rushed, and there is so much to take in, that being truly engaged just doesn't happen as much. So when you deviate from the lines a person wants you to say in the play they have running in their head they get frustrated because that means they have to be engaged and think about changing the whole story, and that takes effort that they don't feel like they have time to put in. So a lot of dudes are jerks sometimes, and a lot of women are jerks sometimes too. I may be talking out of my ass, but maybe not. Just sorta letting thoughts fly.
  • I agree with your larger point, but I bet even if JH was male, she would still get a lot of mean comments about her criticism. This is the Internet, you know? It's just that when horrible commenters try to make you feel horrible, they go for your weak spots.
  • People are always mean... but they're mean in different ways. So what I demand is an equality of meanness.
  • Homogenous judgements are the enemy of decent people, but everyone has them.
  • I really the think the level of vitriol directed at women on the internet is much higher than that against men. Having witnessed (first and second hand) the shitstorms around JH, then comparing them to the storms when a comparable male music critic says something equally provocative, it's pretty obvious.

http://www.michellesblog.net/blogs/my-challenge-to-michael-arrington-techcrunch-hint-its-not-hard

I'll look for better articles/essays that really lay it out.

When I've been on (dumb, non-uhx) message boards and someone disagrees with me but thinks(assumes) I'm male they say I'm stupid, an idiot, or should die, at worst. When they know I'm female it instantly goes to explicit, elaborate ways they will come to my house and rape me.

I am in agreement with an "equality of meanness"!
  • GOD. That is awful ed. UHX is truly a magical place. One of the very best of the internet.
  • bummer buttons
  • I think it's confirmation bias.
  • no confirmation bias on the fact of uhx's magicalness.
  • oh I found the articles I had been thinking about:

http://moderateleft.com/?p=3305

but especially this one:

http://bitchmagazine.org/article/from-the-archive-wack-attack

has this gnar quote:

"Female bloggers writing on not-explicitly-feminist sites, even progressive ones, knew that no matter what topic they were addressing, comments would inevitably devolve either into discussions of their fuckability, or of their extreme status as “feminazis.” And, according to a 2006 University of Maryland School of Engineering study, female-named chat-room users got more threatening and/or sexually explicit messages than male-named users—25 times more, in fact. The phrase “blogging while female” had already entered the cultural lexicon, and every feminist blogger knew it."

which is why I treasure the troll-free environs of UHX so so much.

• This is a great speech!! Joss Whedon is an amazing man who honors women so deeply in all of his work. I like that his fan base is nerds and trolls and he's probably caused a lot of the dudes in that base to rethink their biases about and treatment of women.

Also.
    I wish Joss Whedon hung out on UHX.
  • ugggggh so great!
  • yes. In so many realms...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

logo