Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

The Aesthetics of Fast Food Commercials

edited October 2010
Last night I went on a YouTube journey.

Here is the commercial that introduced the world to Cool Ranch Doritos.

WHAT IS THE IMPLICATION HERE? That Cool Ranch Doritos are from aliens? Magic is involved?

In 1993 Burger King was struggling and so they decided to go with a crazy concept for fast food TABLE SERVICE in the evening. So they hired MTV Sports' Dan Cortese for the commercials to introduce this concept.

Extreme style, fast cuts, wackiness to introduce TABLE SERVICE? So wrong. Amazing. Popcorn, to chill with

Another quick one with Dan Cortese

WHAT'S UP WITH THAT.
The styling of these ads trips me out so hard. Who are they going after? Everyone?

Here's a 90s McD's commercial with totally funky music

Its like a warped Robert Palmer song. (Sorta sounds like an upcoming YACHT jam)

Or a mini muffins ad with a fake George Clinton and a dude with a mini muffin haircut?

I could watch these all day.

Comments

• Thank you for this. More please.
  • This is amazing.
  • I would also love more.
    Lately, I am on a commercial foods kick, and, in general, a retail kick.

Mainly with McDonald's, but also on my mind are Chipotle and Baja Fresh.....
    I order a 2 cheeseburger meal with Diet Coke, no meat.

My "happy place" has been the mall, Ikea, Fred Meyer, and the Dollar Tree.

Dunno why exactly?

Is it wrong?

I feel that it is right.
  • I feel that it puts me more in touch with the world of today.
    I can see our global economy.... I can touch what it is that we are dying for.
    At times this might seem wrong, but right now I feel that it is beautiful.

What's next, appreciating the art of Damien Hirst???
  • Also the beautiful thing about going to the mall and eating the food of Ronald is that you lose your individuality.

That a bad thing?? Some religious thinkers would say "No."
  • I was just thinking about Taco Bell in New York City. So much great food there. So much great inexpensive food there. And yet... people in a Taco Bell. I wanted to go in and demand they respect their city and leave immediately. Not a rational response.
  • edited October 2010
    dC_Cherry_P,
    There is so much to be said.
    I am fascinated by fast food business and the culture and i think its important (for me at least) to be aware of what is happening at those restaurants and in the industry. What is the trend? What is the temporary food item?
    The problem with eating from these places is quality of food. It's usually not very good (in comparison to other options). Also, given McD's money means a local restaurant is missing out on the money.

There is this current Taco Bell ad that illustrates a huge problem in our food economy:

These gentlemen love the Sandwich Lady's sandwiches but when the huge corporation used engineers to figure out how they could sell a product for an insanely low price that the Sandwich Lady and her quality couldn't compete with they had to think of their pocket books first and Sandwich Lady was clearly miffed at losing some of her beloved regular customers.

One pro of fast food restaurants is WEBSITES. Sometimes I'll be sitting at home and needing food and its fun to figure out what I want based on the web and restaurants websites. So many local restaurants either have AWFUL websites or no websites at all. Fast food joints generally have a pretty surfable website.
  • I am really sad because I can't see whatever you are posting.
    I can't always see videos on new uhx. Is it my fault? Why?

I want to see the Doritos.

• Again, I will ask for a screenshot. I'm using Firefox right now and can see all the videos.
    I'm using Firefox 3.6.10 for Mac as a test (normally I'm a Safari Man).
    You can see some of the youtubes, but not others?
  • Wow, that Taco Bell ad is AMAZING! Taco Bell saying "FUCK LOCAL FOOD, OURS IS CHEAPER!"

I love the industry. Remember this?

"The weakness in our value chain was the quality of our core product."

They don't even think of it as FOOD! It's just BUSINESS.
  • (i just paused TV to watch that commercial and then realized what i did.... wow.)
  • edited October 2010
    the sandwich Lady sez "5 feefty"
  • edited October 2010
    The problem with local restaurants' websites is that they rarely put the most important information on the front page: their hours.

Seeing photos of smiling bartenders and knowing that you won some award for your pizza doesn't do me any good if I don't know if you'll be open when I show up.

Just put your hours and location on the front page in a non-flash format and I'll be more likely to patronize your establishment.
  • Yeah, I think restaurant website optimization is a career worth having.
  • edited October 2010
    This is a thread filled with many remarks that are "right on".

Picking up from dC_Cherry Pie, I want to say inhabiting those contemporary commercial environments is totally "not wrong". I find it interesting, though, that you are provoked to even ask that question. I think relating it to the question, "What are we dying for?", reveals precisely the relevance of your inquiry and exploration. It's deep shit and the fact that you relate to it in moral terms and with curiosity gives me a certain anticipation for whatever insights follow from these experiences.

I think one of the most profound "political"/"spatial" revelations in my life came during a time of personal poverty, maybe even during my first experience of hitting bottom economically after I had taken over responsibility for the management of my own household. It was 1983. I was 19 or 20 and had been out of school for about a year (Evergreen drop-out: 1982). For several weeks, the most significant activity in my life was returning to Burger King and ordering a hamburger meal in order to receive that week's edition of a series of special drinking glasses produced to commemorate the release of George Lucas's, Return of the Jedi.

Often, several of my nerdy punkrock boyfriends from Tacoma (James, Geoff, Tom or Curt) would accompany me on this excursion. We might walk for an hour to get there. The whole meal, with the new commemorative glass of the week, would cost about two dollars. With tax, I'm thinking it was maybe $1.89 or $2.37. Whatever it was I remember scouring my room and removing cushions from sofas to scrounge the sum required.

Like dC_Cherry Pie, I remember wondering if it was wrong somehow that I was engaging in this ritual with hyper-trashcultured, apocalyptic, ironical, unsexed, unwashed, impoverished nerds instead of growing my own strawberries and pot and smiling blissfully about the good vibes at one of the suburban ranchos full of bandana'd dogs and chewed frisbees and mayan clocks and rusty volvos full of unicycles.

I felt like I had found a tribe that had committed to life and love, joy, and acceptance, or at least real day-to-day emotional ninja tactics that allowed them to fully engage and make temporary homes in the poisoned damage of the world as it actually was.

There were either four or six glasses in the series. For four or six weeks, I knew what it was the world had to offer me. I was OK with that. It was actually a great relief to know that I had that deal going with the world. Even if that was all I had, it was enough.

YOU GAVE ME A PLACE IN YOUR SHITTY WORLD OF SHIT. FUCK YOU VERY MUCH. NOW I SHALL BE.
  • God, yes.
    Thank you, Sir.