Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Secret Soup of the Day

edited October 2010
I'm eating hella soup!
Soup Season!
I had a crabby soup! IS THAT WEIRD?!?!

Is chili soup? YES!

I like crackers in my soup? Does that make me a soup heathen?

I want a good cabbage-y soup!

Can someone share/link to their fave soups?

Kale-y soup!

Broccoli soup!

Soupy Soup!

Comments

• corn coconut chowder! That's my fave.
    Also my mom's potato/leek soup.

if you want either of these recipes let me know.

• I plan roasting potato, cauliflower, onion, garlic, carrot, and some other junk and then pureeing that into a soup this weekend.

Where did you get crabby soup?
  • I want those recipes!

My crabby soup was from New Season. It was a crab & red pepper bisque thingy. Pretty good!
  • corn and coconut: an UrHo tried-and-true (Bones and Chuck like it)
    - vegetable broth (can buy in box or make your own. Will need like I don't know, five cups maybe)
    - 1 can coconut milk
    - 1 can garbanzo beans
    - 1 can corn (or 1 bag fresh frozen corn you froze last summer (but can can be better because the juice is good: don't drain it!)), or do 2 cans corn if you like it cornier, and you'll just add more broth later to make up for it
    - 1 medium potato, chopped into bite-sized chunks
    - 1 green bell pepper OR 2 stalks celery
    - 1 medium onion, diced
    - bunch of garlic, diced or crushed (maybe 4 cloves)
    - spices (oregano, basil, salt, pepper, cayenne!)
    - maybe some braggs or soy

sautée your onion and garlic in some olive oil in a big pot. Add the potatoes and stir to coat, add a little salt and pepper. Then turn the heat down to low and cover and "sweat" the taters for awhile. Maybe 5 or 10 minutes? Poke them periodically to see how they're doing--you want them JUST STARTING to get tender. Not yet actually tender.

Then add the pepper or celery and sweat a couple more minutes. Then add the drained garbanzo beans and sweat a couple more minutes. Now everything is almost tender enough to eat.

Now add the undrained can of corn. Then, Add enough vegetable broth to almost cover the stuff but not quite. Add some spicies. Taste it to make sure it is a cool flavor for you. Bring to boil, lower heat, simmer for a bit until everything is tender enough to eat now. Then add the can of coconut milk (tip: shake the can hard before you open it) and stir it up.

You can also add a dollop of red curry if that's your jam. Also at this point if it tastes bland a little braggs or soy can liven things up.

I forget an aspect of the potato leek soup and I am too lazy to go look right now. I'll do that one later.

• What if I don't like garbanzo beans? Will that really take the soup down a notch?
    I wonder if I could just stick some more veg in there?

Yes, I know it is weird to not like garbanzos. I'm sorry, but if they aren't pureed I don't want to know about it.
  • it's cool! Can also be made with kidney beans.
    Or, just replace the whole bean concept with a couple carrots.
    OR NOTHING!
    Is also just great as solely a potato/corn concept

NO WORRIES MON
  • edited October 2010
    Here is the recipe for the AMAZING coconut Red Lentil Soup I made this week:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/coconut-red-lentil-soup-recipe.html

Here is a simple and delicious Split Pea Soup:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/yellow-split-pea-soup-recipe.html

And a divine Squash Soup:
    http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001525.html

I don't know how to make a link here. Also I really like the website that all of these recipes come from- Freddy turned me on to it!
  • Oh my gosh! The links made themselves!
  • Lately we've been eating soup with chunks of chicken, a million farm share vegetables and DUMPLINGS made from biscuit dough. It's kind of a mindfuck. Meat is a mindfuck when you haven't eaten it for thirteen years. At first it's gross and wrong but then it becomes incredibly delicious superfood that allows you to lift heavy rocks an have normal fertility cycles like a functioning human.
    Also, DUMPLINGS are a mindfuck of their own. You just make little balls of dough and they cook in the soup.
    I have another recipe for soup that I like to make in the winter that involves orzo, mint, vegetables, broth and a couple eggs carefully thrown in at the end to make it all creamy and yellow.
    What is the best food?
    SOUP.

• I want to make dumplings!
    Tell us a recipe dude!
    I have a kick-ass vegetable soup I make that I bet would be epic with dumplings.

• edited October 2010
    Guys, I AM SOUP.

All-time faves: a roasted cauliflower and garlic number with drizzles of truffle oil, the LRBC chanterelle classic, TORTILLA SOUP, and watercress soup, which tastes like childhood.

Basically all you need is a handheld immersion blender. Then, to make soup happen, you cook anything in broth and then whip into creamy shape at your leisure. I spent all last winter doing this. Potato leek. Minestrone (slightly different style). Carrot-ginger with roughly-hewn parsley. Jesus.

Also, I vouch for the coconut-corn soup. It's stupidly easy and delicious.
  • green soup with ginger is my favorite

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/green-soup-with-ginger-recipe.html

I like it blended.
  • Denver nuggets, we eat red lentil soup from that blog almost weekly at our house. I had it last night!
  • Oh my gosh this thread made me realize I left a tupperware of my mom's cabbage soup in the back seat of my car! Oh no. It's been there for a while.

I could use some soup today because I have a whopper of a cold. Slept till noon! I don't think my boathouse-mates are really into cooking soup, though.
  • Lentil with winter squash has been our jam lately. Before that it was beet with tamarind. I'm always into a good spicy cabbage soup though. Or, oh man, celery root is super delicious.
  • I got pretty into this winter soup last year. I bet I'll do it again this year.

Also: creamy edamame potato soup! Super easy!
  • Check this out. SIMPLE VEGETABLE SOUP WITH RICE. Filling and delightful!

boil up 8 cups of stock (or 8 cups of water with like 7 boullion cubes)
    add:
    one chopped potato
    one chopped bell pepper
    one chopped carrot
    handful of chopped green beans or something
    can of corn
    whatever else you like in soup (some people like broccoli, e.g., but I hate wet broccoli)

salt/pepper to taste, plus maybe a bay leaf and some basil and oregano, plus a tablespoon of olive oil. Bring to boil, turn down heat, cover, simmer for like 10 minutes. Then put in
    ONE CUP of rice
    a teaspoon of turmeric (not essential)
    Bring to boil again, turn down heat, cover, simmer until everything's done (rice and veggies tender).

When it's done, turn off heat, and squeeze in the juice of half a lemon. SECRET INGREDIENT! Makes it really pop. Also put in like a teaspoon of paprika.

YUM

• Last night I had the roasted cauliflower soup!

Secret sacred ingredient: the leftover bacon apple cider collard broth from the the night before last. Holy hell.
  • I made this great soup last night! You guys should try it!!

Curried Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

1/2 medium butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled, seeded, and chopped
    1 1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
    3 medium shallots , peeled and quartered
    1/4 C vegetable oil
    Salt and pepper
    4 C vegetable or low-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1/4 C cream (optional)

1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Toss squash, apples, shallots, oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper in large bowl, then arrange in single layer in large roasting pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are golden brown and softened, about 45 minutes.

2. Working in 2 batches, puree squash mixture and broth in blender until smooth. Transfer pureed squash mixture to large saucepan and stir in curry powder (and cream if you're using it). Bring soup to simmer over medium-low heat, adding more water if needed to adjust consistency.
  • I just made my first roasted butternut squash soup. Kinda similar to freddy's but with potatoes instead of apples.
    https://innocentprimate.wordpress.com/2008/10/09/butternut-squash-potato-soup/
    IT IS VERY GOOD.
  • Duh!
    I never gave you the recipes for the soups I was talking about.
    So here is a vegetarian one, from "Vegetarian Times":
    GREEK AVGOLEMONO SOUP
    2 Tbsp. olive oil
    salt and pepper
    2 medium leeks, white parts finely chopped
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    2 small carrots, peeled and diced
    6 cups vegetable broth
    1/2 cup orzo
    2 large eggs
    3 Tbsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
    1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano
    Lemon wedges, for garnish (I prefer skinny swirls of lemon rind).

Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks, onion, carrots and pinch of salt; cover and cook 5 to 7 minutes, softening vegetables, stirring often.
    Stir in broth. Season with salt and pepper. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes. Add orzo, and cook 11 minutes more, or until orzo is tender. Remove from heat.
    Whisk together eggs and lemon juice in a (pretty big) bowl. Add three ladles of the soup broth to the eggs while whisking constantly. You don't want your eggs to turn into chunks. Whisk eggs back into soup and cook over low heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Do not bring to a boil. Serve sprinkled with the herbs and garnish with "lemon wedges".

This soup is delicious and great for those days when the darkness gets to you.

• Ok, this one has chicken in it. You could probably make a vegetarian version. But if you have a chicken around, this is a really great way to worship him or her. We say "thank you" many many times as we eat this. Thank you chicken for giving your life to save my body from hypoglycemia and other ailments. I promise to give my body to those worms you like to eat so much in return.
    CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS:
    The quantities in this one are vague. You'll know how much to put in.
    A combination of fresh vegetables cut in one inch pieces:
    onions
    garlic
    potatoes
    squash
    whatever sounds good.
    1/2 bunch of chopped Italian parsley
    6 cups of broth (chicken ore vegetable)
    leftover chicken or an actual whole chicken you poached ahead of time

Fry onions and garlic in olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add other vegetables, add broth. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Meanwhile, cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken to the pot. Increase the heat and return to a boil.

The dumplings:
    (biscuit recipe from Nikki McClure's "How to Cook the Perfect Day")
    2 cups wheat flour
    pinch of salt
    3 tsp. baking powder
    4 Tbsp. butter
    A little less than 1 cup of milk (but a little more than 3/4 cup)

Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder. Cut butter into flour with two knives, or crumble with fungers until pea-sized, Add milk.

Now add the other half of the parsley bunch (chopped) to the dough and knead it lightly.

When the soup has returned to a boil, drop dumpling dough by spoonfuls (littler ones are best). Adjust heat to gentle simmer. Cook the dumplings in soup for 10 minutes uncovered, then cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Let soup cool a little before eating it otherwise you will burn the entire inside of your mouth and cry.

• I really like this in the summertime.

Linda McCartney's Avocado and Green Chile Soup
    2 ripe avocados
    3 c soy milk
    4 oz canned green chiles
    1 med onion, chopped
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 tb lemon juice
    2 Tbsp dry sherry
    fresh parsley for garnish
    Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits. Scoop out the avocado pulp and puree in a blender. Add the remaining ingredients except garnish to the blender and puree until evenly smooth. Pour the mixture into a serving bowl, garnish, and serve immediately.
  • kdawg, you have spoken to me about this soup MANY times.
    I have yet to see it.
    When is the last time you made this soup, seven years ago?
    I tease, I tease.
    love,
    gege.
  • I'm gonna try Joey's one with veggie chicken or soy curls. It sounds very good.

Monday afternoons are my soup-making time. Then I eat soup all week!
  • Maybe we should have a soup party like this:
    http://news.opb.org/article/17496-swaps-get-more-mileage-humble-bowl-soup/
    Everybody brings a big ole pot of soup to a pot luck along with some tupperwares and copies of the recipes. Then after you eat you fill up your containers with your favorite soups and grab copies of recipes you want to try at home. Easy breezy.

What do you guys think?
  • I think it's a great idea! We can host (in our community's shared space) for up to 15 peeps. Maybe after the holidays, though?
  • Yeah, January sometime? I would be super into this.