Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Jobs Thread

Comments

• Now i want business cards that say "analog tactician"
  • Prince of Tact
  • I think it's probably gonna be hard to find a programmer with 8 years of web development and project lead experience to work for $50k in Portland's current tech market, but I hope you find a rad developer!
  • Yeah, just gotta hope someone is tired of working on their current project and willing to take a pay cut to work towards something they care about.
  • Got to agree with Alex. Would be extremely unlikely to hire even a new college grad who studied those skills at that rate. To say I strongly disfavor H1B arbitrage would be understating.

And just saying, Alta should create a venture funded subsidiary to recreate Bixi software. Want to be rad? Make it open source. Not saying there aren't IP questions, but doubt Bixi owns.
  • I didn't write the job post but I told them they probably weren't offering enough. But what do I know.
  • Apparently it's negotiable up to $60K. Is that still ridiculous?
  • For 8 years of experience, yes, it's still not enough $. For 2-3 years experience, probably a little more reasonable?
  • Dang, i shoulda been a coder!
  • I think it's kinda hard you guys.
  • edited February 2014
    You still can, everybody! Sasha quit her job a year ago to learn front-end web dev and design and now she's freelancing full-time. Some of it's hard, but lots of it is relatively straightforward, as long as you're comfortable with banging your head against stuff a bunch. Literally.
  • I've always loved deeper excel formulas and macros: is that a good indication of aptitude? :)
  • I barely know how to use Google, can I be a coder*

*have literally no idea what a coder does
  • I am so tempted to follow in Sasha's footsteps!

But I also want to be a lawyer and a psychologist and a design researcher and a STRATEGIST and an illustrator and a project manager and a business-woman-very-generally and a healthcare entrepreneur.

So, because I can't decide, I will just spend my nights eating chocolate chips in bed and knitting while watching bad Netflix, instead. :( #currentlifeplan
  • I feel that.
  • PT accounting assist/office manager at Chinook Book:

http://chinookbook.net/portland-job-openings/
  • BT Dubs - My contract is over, so if anyone needs or knows of a need for a fun Digital Producer / Project Wrangler dude, let me know!
  • edited February 2014
    Another one at Chinook book. Work from home, super flexible, 10-20 hrs a week.

http://chinookbook.net/pdx-mobile-production/

You'd be working with my girl, Lisa, and she's awesome.
  • Hey guys, still working on this...could someone tell me what the going salary is in Portland for the position previously described? Thanks.
  • thanks, dood
  • Sweet KP gig in HAWAII:

Job Description

Web Multimedia Consultant(Job Number: 227437)

Here in Hawaii, the spirit of aloha permeates our daily actions and interactions. It’s a welcoming spirit and one that’s alive and well at Kaiser Permanente Hawaii. Since 1958, we have proudly served our island communities as ‘ohana. Today, each of us—from our finance, business, and IT experts, to our RNs, allied health professionals, and physicians—contributes to that ongoing mission. If you’re looking to be a part of our rich heritage of care, this is the place to put your beliefs into practice.

Description

Exempt: Grade 141

Consults with all levels of the organization to develop web, video, photo, interactive and graphic design solutions to meet the region’s communication objectives. Writes and maintains code, including Sharepoint, Javascript, HTML and .NET for both internal and external communication and marketing websites. Collaborates with web developers, IT, brand designers, and other technically oriented personnel in developing member/customer-focused websites and applications. Participates in developing region webspace strategies, including social media and new technologies. Produces videos and photos, and provides multimedia support during webcasts and company events.

Essential Functions:

• Consults with executives, physicians, and staff at all levels to develop creative, multimedia-based communication solutions in the digital media space, including web, video, photo, and interactive/graphic design.
    • Writes and maintains code for internal and external websites, using Sharepoint, Javascript, HTML, CSS, JQuery and .NET. Develops branded, functional web sites designed to complement the organization’s communication efforts, including kp.org and social media.
    • Collaborates with web developers, IT, brand designers, and other technically-oriented personnel in developing member/customer-focused websites and applications. Develops and maintains websites and web-based systems designed to foster organizational collaboration and process improvements. Participates in guiding region strategy around the internal and external webspace.
    • Produces educational, informational and marketing videos utilizing the latest tools, formats and techniques to assure high production values. Collaborates with clients on script development, creative briefs, and storyboards to ensure appropriate messaging, prioritization and end-product use. Creates video news releases. Converts productions to appropriate online and file-based formats.
    • Provides technical and logistical support for multimedia-rich company events, including webcasts, expos, conferences, and off-site meetings. Ensures sound, lighting, projection, presentation and any visual systems are optimally configured and utilized effectively.
    • Provides consultation and strategies with both internal customers and external vendors/suppliers in ensuring all communication products maintain standards of professionalism, and adhere to brand guidelines where applicable. Keeps abreast of advances in web trends, web applications, software, and all facets of multimedia production.
    • Uses independent judgment and completes projects under tight deadlines and within budget. Directs problem solving on conceptual, technical, tactical and process issues. Manages projects, tracking and communicating objectives, measures, outcomes and next steps.
    • Sets direction and establishes goals and objectives to ensure products are aligned with Regional goals and priorities.

Qualifications

Basic Qualifications:
    Experience
    • Minimum six (6) years of HTML, CSS, XML, JQuery, Javascript, AJAX, .NET programming experience.
    • Minimum six (6) years of web administration experience, particularly in IIS.
    • Experience in user interface design and accessibility, in both Mac and PC environments.
    • Project management experience.
    • Experience working in a collaborative team environment, under tight deadlines.
    Education
    • Bachelor’s degree in information technology, information systems, computer science, multimedia production, or related field OR four (4) years of experience in a directly related field.
    License, Certification, Registration
    • Valid driver’s license.

Additional Requirements:
    • Advanced knowledge and mastery of the following applications: Sharepoint Designer, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop, Wordpress/Blogger.
    • Demonstrated conceptual ability.
    • Demonstrated ability to operate, carry and transport heavy professional production equipment.
    • Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in creativity/innovation, customer service, group presentations, influence, interpersonal relations, oral communication, quality management, written communication, and consulting.

Preferred Qualifications:
    • Five (5) years of server administration experience preferred.
    • Experience in a creative role preferred.
    • Demonstrated advanced knowledge of and mastery skill in Microsoft Office, Final Cut Pro, Adobe After Effects, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe Muse preferred.
    • Demonstrated advanced knowledge of videography and photography using DSLR equipment preferred.
    • Knowledge of webcasting systems and technology preferred.
    • Ability to lift and carry bulky equipment weighing up to 50 pounds preferred.

Primary Location: Hawaii-Honolulu-Mapunapuna Medical Offices 2828 Pa'a St.

Scheduled Hours (1-40): 40

Shift: Day

Working Days: Mon - Fri

Working Hours Start: 8:00 AM

Working Hours End: 5:00 PM

Schedule: Full-time

Job Type: Standard

Employee Status: Regular

Employee Group: None

Job Level: Individual Contributor

Job: Communications

Public Department Name: Multimedia Communications

Travel: Yes, 5 % of the Time

External hires must pass a background check/drug screen. We are proud to be an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
  • Who has those skills and could pass a drug screen, HONESTLY
  • @Alex Someone who likes developing in .net and maintaining msft server?
  • Yeah, and Sharepoint I guess :/
  • I wouldn't apply for a job that requires a drug test. What I choose to ingest in my free time is up to me. OH GREAT, THE LIBERTARIAN IN ME COMING OUT.
  • Another weird job description for sure. They're a developer, photographer, and video maker? PICK ONE.
  • this is next level. wish I knew the salary range. running all facets of a/v during company events is just the cherry on top.
  • I would literally go into this interview like "You're obviously confused."
  • I just keep typing lines in this box and erasing them.

Hawaii would only be glimpsed out the window by a sad unicorn.
  • One report has an individual working in HI on a contract basis converting Sharepoint content to web at about 125. If that was really the job description, tools used make perfect sense. You do not want to be that individual at this moment though.

@KMM that exists, reported by friend hiring creatives @the very large tech company in Hillsboro. Supposedly they test but allow certain.
  • Yeah, you're absolutely right. I didn't really read this through critically. Working at KP --> "We don't know what we need, but we'll pay you to do a lot of things at a mediocre level that seem like what we need, and sometimes we'll just ask you to help us figure out how to hold a conference call or something."
  • edited March 2014
    Are you an artist who would like to teach? Plus there are some other fun jobs on the link. Wouldn't be a bad place to work at all.

We are looking for Teaching Artists for Camp Caldera. You can teach for one session (8 - 10 days) or more than one; there are three total.

For more information go to: http://www.calderaarts.org/caldera/get-involved/jobs/
    Scroll down to Teaching Artist, click to get full job description.

The deadline for applications is this Friday but if you want to apply and feel that is too soon to accomplish, please email me. Also if you know anyone you would like to forward this info to, please do and again tell them to email me if the deadline is too soon.

Elizabeth Quinn
    Artist in Residence Director
    elizabeth.quinn@calderaarts.org
    Cell 541.419.9836| CalderaArts.org
    Follow us on Twitter @CalderaArts | Like us on facebook CalderaArts.org

Main Office Arts Center
    224 NW 13th Avenue Suite 304 31500 Blue Lake Drive
    Portland, OR 97209 Sisters, OR 97759

MISSION: Caldera is a catalyst for the transformation of underserved youth through innovative year-round art and environmental programs.
  • Also, if you are a (fill in the blank) and want to teach kids, my friends over at Saturday Academy are always looking for people to propose/teach after school classes. Hit me up for insider info.
  • What if I'm just a straight up life guru? Are kids into that?
  • They damn well should be.
  • I applied for a job this morning. The job posting opens with these lines:

"Are you interested in cutting edge innovation that drives behavior change? Do you like dogs and fresh coffee?"

Could this be anymore perfect? I LOVE DOGS AND COFFEE!
  • edited March 2014
    Uggggggggh. I got an interview for the above job. I interviewed. It went SO. WELL. It's project-based and it's the kind of work I've been wanting to do for a LONG TIME. It was perfect - I could work with them on this project and get great experience while maintaining my job/benefits at KP. They basically told-me-without-officially-telling-me that they wanted to me to start immediately. All we needed to do was agree on compensation and we were set to go.

So today we had a phone conversation during which I must have asked for too much (way too much) and in the blink of an eye I was hearing, "Well, ok, so, let me talk this over with the team" and "I'll get back to you" and "You know, I would hold off on talking to your boss until we speak again" and "it was really great to meet you, even if it doesn't end up working out for this particular job."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It's like buying a house all over again! :( :( :(

I HATE THIS STUFF. Why did I ask for so much? I would be happy - thrilled even - with half of what I asked for! Ugh ugh ugh.
  • Here's why I asked for too much.

Let's say I make $10/hr currently (this is hypothetical).

I sent an email to a guy I know who does this kind of work (design research, basically), and he said the range for this kind of work starts at 3x what I make currently. So, basically, the range he gave was: $33.33hr - $50.00. He also said that I should start high and assume that they would nickel and dime me down. The thought of this made me very very uncomfortable.

So instead, when I spoke with these people, I said, "I hear the range is $33 - $50/hr for this kind of work, but since I don't have a lot of experience I thought maybe $25/hr would be a reasonable fee to start?" (2.5x what I make now)

IS THAT SO CRAZY?

OBVIOUSLY IT IS.

Sigh.

Had I never talked with the other guy who does this kind of work, there's no way I would have started with a number 2.5x higher than what I make now!

Lesson learned.
  • $25/hr isn't crazy. Don't undervalue yourself.
  • edited March 2014
    No no no. That was hypothetical, just to demonstrate how it compares to my current salary. I asked for WAY more than $25/hr. :(
  • She asked for $475k/yr
    Go big or go home.

• Oh no! This is the worst! It's so hard to negotiate and we are told we are supposed to do it to have self-respect, but it's very sad when the feared outcome actually happens.

Right now there is a huge storm of controversy (only in the academic world, so surely you've never heard of it) surrounding this Philosophy candidate, called "W," who negotiated a tenure track offer and then had the offer rescinded, which is sort of illegal but also totally unethical. Everyone is dissecting her negotiation email and the school's response and doing all this research. It's really intense and scary, especially for those of us in the same boat (I recently read an article called "Stop Negotiating Like A Girl" and found that I do ALL of the mistakes that this author attributes to female negotiation). Negotiation is supposed to be a back-and-forth, it's not supposed to be a dealbreaker, but sometimes something you ask for can indicate something to them that they feel is insurmountable, and it's so scary that you don't know WHAT THAT IS GOING TO BE.

I still think the responsibility is on the employer, though. Instead of just saying "fuck you" they should say "here's what's more in line with the possibilities for us." The school in W's case just wrote back and said "your demands indicate that you don't want to work at a school like this, so thanks for your time, goodbye." They should have said "Your demands are sort of crazy and you didn't do enough research before making them; try again" or something. In short, I think it is really lame if they don't offer you this job just based on your preliminary salary conversation. At the very least can't they OFFER you some salary and see if you accept it or not???

I wonder if you could follow up and say "I sensed that the salary I asked for was way too high, and I wanted to clarify that I would be just as happy with something lower?" Maybe that is too weak? I don't know!!!

• I do a thing where instead of asking for a $ number, I ask for a life style. I say the following: "I'm in a pretty good place right now and don't have any debt. I have a down payment saved up and am interested in buying soon. As long as I can make my rent/mortgage, take an annual trip somewhere sunny, and take ladies out to eat on the regular, then I am a happy guy." It puts the onus on them to offer me a respectable, comfy lifestyle and it's extremely tough to argue with.
  • "we are told we are supposed to [negotiate] to have self-respect" --> I know! But maybe this is bullshit. My self-respect has always plummeted after these kinds of conversations. It is not a game I like to play, for many reasons, so why did I try to play it? I think I need to do some major reflection before I go into my next "compensation discussion." More in my style would be a perfectly straightforward statement like: "To consider the position, I'd need to make at least xxx, which is xx% of what I'm making now. I would be really happy with xxx, which is a pretty standard rate and I'm worth that. If you wanted to completely delight and excite me, you'd offer me xxx or above."

I have crafted an email to this employer, the bulk of which is as follows. WHAT DO YOU THINK? I need advice from all you smarty smartpantses.

Regardless, I'd like to make clear the following -

1. Compensation is not nearly as important to me, at this point in my career, as is the opportunity for growth and a feeling of "fit" with a team that shares similar values and work style.

2. I am much more interested and excited about the opportunity to grow with a team over time and take on (own) a piece of the research/design process for a company, than I am about doing one-off, contract work - even if that contract work is higher paid. I'm not sure yet whether or not XXXXX is the company I want to grow with, but I felt positive about my interactions with everyone on the team during the interview process and would certainly like to continue the conversation. I feel that working on this current project would give us both a chance to determine whether or not I'm a good fit for a longer-term position, if that is indeed what you envision for someone in this role. Bottom line - if a longer-term position is on the table, I would be happy to discuss a more modest salary.

I invite your input, and wish you well in this and future projects regardless of the outcome of this week's discussions.
  • This seems great to me. Calm and confident but not brash. You also don't sound desperate for a job--you sound like you want THIS job because it's a GOOD FIT, which is important to get across.

I think it's good! Interested in what others will say...