Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Jobs Thread

Comments

• I think it's really well worded and I don't think you need to feel bad for aiming high initially. If they wrote you off solely based on your initial rate, eff that. Compensation negotiation is/should be a part of any hiring process!
  • I think it's great, Flossy. You're direct, friendly, and clear in expressing your hopes/expectations. Hit send!
  • Sent! I'm feeling better about the whole thing today. In retrospect, I think the guy (CEO of a small company) was being pretty slippery and I definitely made clear in our phone conversation that I was looking for guidance since this is not a field I've worked in previously. I also made clear that I was open to discussing a lower salary.

So, frankly, if he rejects me based on that conversation alone, I'm gonna conclude that he got the impression from my interview that he was going to score a super-competent but financially naïve worker-bee for a fraction of what he'd have to pay someone more savvy about standard rates, and that as soon as he realized I had done my research and wasn't willing to work for pennies, he lost interest.

Boom. Done. On to the next job search/application. Thanks for your support!

• "Negotiation is supposed to be a back-and-forth, it's not supposed to be a dealbreaker"

Yeah, I think it's insane when people are just like "HM, NOPE, GOODBYE!" Like... why not at least tell the applicant what you're willing to pay? It just doesn't make sense to me. You liked everything about this person and wanted to bring them into your daily work life and have them share responsibility for your success but then you freak out when they say a number of imaginary money units?
  • Also, it's always an option to say "What range were you thinking of?" "I'd really like to know what you're budgeting for this work so I can work within your budget."

MAKE THEM GO FIRST. Sometimes I have totally screwed myself out of what I should be getting paid because I went first.
  • So dumb. Makes me think the greatest gifts I've ever given anyone are the times when I've told people new to my field what the bare minimum they should ask for is.
  • There have also been times when someone went first and offered me a salary and then I asked for more and I got it. BOSS UP.
  • edited March 2014
    As a freelance person regularly working on projects with varying budgets I find myself going through this process pretty regularly. I've gotten pretty used to it so it's not too stressful, but I think it's always good to be paid fairly and if aiming high off the bat will get you there then I say go for it. Ultimately you'll be setting yourself up to be working with people who enjoy your work and establishing sustainable relationships with employers who understand that a higher price point yields harder work and a higher quality finished product.

Thankfully I don't really have to "bid" against other contractors, because that just sounds annoying and I'm not really interested in working with people who are just trying to get cheap production rates.

I think it really helps to have a sense of what the local rates (or salaries) are for your service(s), which can generally be found fairly easily. Like many production services I have a rate card based on those local rates and my own proficiency for various production needs, which then can be used to build estimates. Sometimes when a client is totally in the dark as far as production costs are concerned I build tiered estimates (IE estimates for different production scales which still pay me and any other additional subcontractors fairly). Sometimes you take into consideration the long game benefits (IE this project only has x amount of money but if it goes well there's this big one coming up that has xxx).

In short, always be proactive in the financial phase of negotiations. In the end you'll always benefit from looking out for your needs as a cool worker and most employers will respect you more, even if you end up doing some hand holding.
  • Oh yah, this site is pretty cool for finding out what you should maybe get paid: http://www.glassdoor.com/index.htm
  • Boo!! Their loss, Flossy. Sorry.
  • Aw, thanks guys.

• I got another interview! (at a different place)(my current place, actually, but it's a step up). April 9. Fingers crossed, people!
  • Woot woot!! Bigger n' better!
  • P's & Q's market is looking for a server. Very chill little spot with cool boss lady. You'll see me at many lunches.
  • My very first time traveling to a professional conference out of state annnnnnnnnd I did not bring business cards. People keep looking at me in horror. One nice man handed me a paper coaster to write down my info and very sweetly told me that this was a great strategy because my "business card" will stand out at the end of the day.

On a positive note, the idea of "networking" makes me want to puke (probably why I forgot those business cards, let's be honest) and get all sweaty and anxiety-ridden, but I'm doing it anyway (a little bit) and it's going pretty well! It's funny that I can know I'm pretty good at something and yet still find it so acutely uncomfortable.

That is the end of my UrHo diary entry. My apologies.
  • A lot of hiring going on at Instrument right now:
    http://weareinstrument.com/careers
  • FL for what it's worth, I spent the entirety of grad school feeling terrified about "networking" and how I was so bad at "networking" that I would never get a job. But then all of a sudden (it took one really good conference where things clicked for me) I realized that "networking" really just means "talking to people with whom you have mutual interests and good chemistry, and liking each other, and staying in touch on Facebook because you make each other laugh, then later if one of you hears of a job or needs an article for an edited volume, you think of that person because they are cool, and offer it to them because you like them." Which is just like normal social life, actually. The only people who constantly "network" like it's a separate Don Draper skill are creepy assholes, in my experience, OR they come off as fake. Sure they may get ahead just based on pure doggedness, but people who network in a more natural human way do too! Don't sweat it! Just be normal and friendly and talk to people you like--turns out that's all it is, really!!! I bet this is what you're doing naturally already!

TIP OF THE DAY
  • GREAT TIP, YT.

I've gotten at least 2 jobs because of one dude I met at a web meetup when I first moved back to Portland in 2009, and now he's my technical director!

Had no intentions of "networking", but just meeting, nerding out on some stuff, and staying in touch on Twitter did wonders for my web "career".
  • Also, I forget my business cards like 80% of the time I'm supposed to have some with me. I'm getting better at it, though, so like all things, you'll improve with time.
  • Thanks guys!
  • I don't even HAVE business cards!
  • How embarrassing for you :(
  • edited May 2014
    How dangerous is it to tell a supervisor that they are textbook Managing by Crisis? Cuz we're about to have a meeting on procedures and I need to fix this or quit...

(nicely of course)
  • Try to come at it from the angle of "I've noticed there are opportunities for improvement, here's where I think I can help." Pick the lowest hanging fruit and nail it, then when you come back again for round two (ie: the "big" stuff) you will have built up some trust.
  • Get them to trip on mushrooms with you.
  • Over the years whilst djing I have had so many people express horror over my lack of business cards. I offer to write down my booking agent's email but it is NOT ENOUGH to their mindset. When 50something moms do it it's so sweet, I usually respond with "I know, you're right". When young bros try to "help me" it goes a little differently.

also on the jobs front, from yesterday's internet: http://the-toast.net/2014/05/20/time-ive-ever-connecticut/
  • unrelated, Ed, I initially read your post as "Over the years whilst dying" and I was so into it

• Google Fiber's looking for a Community Impact Manager in PDX:
    https://www.google.com/about/careers/search/#!t=jo&jid=43705001&;
  • Too real.
  • too real/unreal
  • I am leaving my post as Project Director at Mile7 (usability stuff and websites) to manage projects at Guild. Getting out of digital for a bit (kinda). I'm looking to replace me for them as they are super nice people. email me for deets or if you know somebody.
  • New job sounds like fun. I would love to escape Internet work for a while myself. I have a real craving to be more "grounded" and focused on Portland-specific work after being focused on worldwide BS for so long.
  • Whoa, yeah, the "functions" list is gigantic. "Ph. D. preferred." AND SHITTY PAY! What a buncha jerks.
  • Like... don't work anywhere that can't write a better job posting than that.
  • Yeah, that job description is TERRIBLE.

"Do one million things. For ~50k. We hope you have a PhD."
  • edited September 2014
    I would summarize description as micromanage a bilingual superhero with more educational debt than the salary. It is a hiring manager and HR [bad word here]. Sad thing is that people are reposting that job. Save the description. It is not saved by the internets search. Someone should start a job posting of this type archive shaming site.
  • Wanted: Theoretical Physicist. $12/hr. Provide own particle accelerator.
  • Wanted: internationally-acclaimed theoretical physicist. Must have at least ten books on scholarly presses, at least five of which must be regularly assigned to classes on at least five university campuses, and ten popular press books that have received favorable write-ups in the New York Times. Must have own wikipedia page. Must have at least 5,000 followers on Facebook. Must have won, or been runner-up, for at least one international prize of boundless prestige (Nobel, e.g.)

Salary: J. Crew gift card valued at up to $50; free lunch in office cafeteria on Tuesdays; you are allowed to sleep in your office
  • I left my weird experiment in Industrial Design Management - if anyone hears about a cool company looking for a cool project manager - hollar at a dude!
  • We're hiring like 2-3 front-end developers at Instrument again.
  • Hey Abe, you still looking? I don't know much of anything about "Substance," but it looks like they're hiring a PM (as well as some other jobs). http://findsubstance.com/jobs/

Another company I know very little about - Context Parnters is hiring a studio associate: http://contextpartners.com/studio-associate-pdx/

• Thanks @flossy-log-lady I am indeed!
  • Hey doods - my team is hiring for a part-time graphic designer. It's time-limited and part-time for now but I think there is strong potential for it to expand/extend. Values match is super important, so we're looking for people who care about walking, biking, mobility, and cities. Can you help me spread the word?
  • I would strongly suggest sending this to PNCA Career services- they circulate stuff like this to students and alums. You might find someone great!
    career_services@pnca.edu
  • Thank you, Owly! I will do it!