In conversation with a male friend last night it came up that he had never heard of Clan of the Cave Bear, the opening salvo in Jean Auel's sexy, sexy tale of a plucky early homo sapien named Ayla trotting around the world encountering neanderthals and inventing arrows and hand lotions.
This got me thinking. I feel like a very particular demographic finds this book to be pretty foundational, at least in terms of literary sexual awakenings. To prove or disprove my theory about this demographic, will everyone please take this informal survey?
1. Had you heard of Clan of the Cave Bear before reading this post? The book, NOT the Darryl Hannah movie?
2. If No, stop taking this survey.
3. If yes, when did you hear about it? What age, I mean.
4. What were the circumstances of you discovering Clan of the Cave Bear?
5. Looking back, what are your primary memories of Clan of the Cave Bear?