Coffee Shops in Portland
  • i only fuck with drip/pour over coffee.
    that's that shit.
    fuck a greasy ass muddy ass french press that shit gives me a heart attack every time

also, as a man of currently very limited means, i have been buying those tins of beans from whole foods and trader joes for $5 and making myself a pour over in the morning. grind it myself. that's that cheap and that good shit.

mmmm

i'm so jacked up right now on my pour over from a couple hours ago. holy shit!

sub question, when u get the coffee jitters and shit feels all weird, what are some people's methods for "balancing that shit out"

i don't smoke weed but some people like that combo

food works. like eating something levels you out

sometimes later i would drink a shot of whiskey.

what else?

water doesn't really do it.

how to maintain level on that pdx crack coffee?

right now i would snort some heroin to come off this coffee high

dudes i can barely type straight and my legs are twitching like a motherfucker!

what would YOU do?

• What I do when I get coffee jitters in a bad way is I start drinking delightful herbal tea with specific calming herbs in it. This helps soothe you, it's healthy, and you still get the benefit of sipping a hot beverage. My current blend (made myself from bulk herbs at alberta street co-op, but honestly even just like Celestial Seasonings bedtime tea would do):

- chamomile
    - skullcap
    - hops
    - peppermint (twice as much peppermint as other three)

delicious, refreshing, calming, steamy!!

I also sometimes brew a huge pot of ginger water and just drink that all day once I'm done with coffee. Flushes out the system and is good for the skin/stomach.
  • Alan you can also do what my parents do, which is HALF DECAF. You are very sensitive to caffeine and I think this could be a great option for you.

For me, half decaf makes me feel like I'm going to fall asleep and die, but I think for the caffeine-sensitive lad it could be a real godsend.

Just get two tins from Trader Joe's, one caff, one decaf, and do half-n-half in your grinder! Same amount of coffee for sipping, with half the caff
  • I usually drink one cup of Aero Pressed coffee in the morning and that seems to do the "wake up, feel good, focus" thing without getting jittery. If I have another cup at 3pm though, that usually makes me feel a little weird.

I do love an 8oz. Americano.
  • I can't do afternoon coffee anymore
    "I'M TOO OLD!"

keeps me up all night, its horrible
  • I love an aero press. I don't think I can drink french pressed coffee anymore. Have you seen the magic pourover? I've been happy to see people in my office using aero presses, all the cool people have aero presses on their desk.
  • Sometimes I'd find that some apple cider vinegar in water would ease some of my coffee symptoms. Now that I switched to tea, I get energized without that harsh coffee edge. I do not miss that feeling that was kind of like grinding your teeth except it was your whole being.
  • "kind of like grinding your teeth except it was your whole being. "

exactly!! This describes me at my happiest and most productive, but I totally get how it can also feel horrible.

I think if I were less of a total square I would be really into speed

• (ritalin/adderall)
  • For Alan: Drink a lot of water. Walk somewhere thinking about lyrics. Yeah, half caff.
  • I've definitely done a lot of my best writing while grinding my being. I would like some adderall, but can never find a source.
  • ooo what about that vinegar works it out? some cool pH she?
    i like thinking about pH she. that she is like the essential puzzle of well being, right?
    pH
    i should have paid more attention in high school chemistry class

also, tight call alex. i haven't done that since i was 14, tho

also, that aero press looks baller as hell.

also, i want one of those stainless steel/gold mesh filters. feel bad about my paper consumption. (recycled, one a day, probably shouldn't worry about it, worlds ending anyway)

my coffee vibe mellowed on its own

i made some sounds in my personal sound space ship real loud while intermittently doing the cooking dance and that seems to always do the trick

though i fear my music is all cracked out nowadays, and its all this awesome free time and coffee

since i first saw it like a few days ago i just watch this like 10 times in a row and it gets me feeling good every time, doh

LETS GO INSIDE THE MIND OF A GREG JENNINGS
    "PPBPBPBPBPBPT!"

"FUCK IT
    YOU CANT STOP ME
    CROSS THE PLAIN
    TOUCHDOWN"

FUCK WITH ME

i think im still all coffee'd out

stumptown is totally a small chain. no question.

RE: ORIGINAL LIST, doh
    you forgot Water Ave Coffee Roasters, doh

they make good ass coffee doh

tier one for sure
  • I think If you lived up here you will move Arbor Lodge to Lower Tier 2 or Even Tier 3!

"Get a Life Arbor Lodge"

-gary
  • Arbor Lodge is totally Tier 1.

Gary and YT and IDIOTS.

It has a huge co-sign from Coava, which is basically the lighthouse of Tier 1 coffee.
    I love going there.
    But I like french press coffee. GIMME DAT MUD.

• Arbor Ludge "fucks up Coava Coffee" by their Own Admission ! Like drinking Coava Coffee but like Greg Jenner running on a BROKEN LEG!

"Get Real Steve"

-gary
  • I hope you are forced to move to a town with the worst coffee ever.

Appreciate what's around you.

This neighborhood had no coffee before.

I have NO QUALMS with the product at Arbor Lodge.
    I have enjoyed many cups of french press style coffee, have had DELICIOUS pour over, and even enjoyed a iced cold coffee.

It is as good as Red E or Coffeehouse 5 to me.
  • Are you guys talking about the Arbor Lodge New Seasons?

This thread has made me decide I need to up my caffeine intake.
  • Gregg Jennen's RUNNING on a BROKEN LEG ! Try the Coffee again and Think About It.

"Back to Discussions"

-gary
  • HERE COMES LOG_GARY, ONE OF THE HARDEST HITTING SAFTYS IN THE LEAGUE

BOAT SHOES SAYS
    "FUCK IT
    FOR MADDEN
    FOR NOPO
    FOR COFFEE
    FOR ARBOR LODGE
    I PUT MY HOOD ON MY BACK

CROSS THE PLANE
    FRENCH PRESS

• I had good joe at The Waypost. I like that place. Kind of a coffeehouse pub. And I like getting my joe in a pint glass. Quick rinse and it's good for something frosty.

Only problem I have with The Waypost is that they don't open until 10am, which is really too late to be a real coffee contender.

Arbor Lodge sounds attractive. Is it a cult?

• CULT OF THE BROKE ASS LEG
  • Coava is indeed the lighthouse of Tier 1 coffee. Also, the lighthouse of Jesus' eternal love and tepid-ass music selections.
  • TERRIBLE MUSIC!!!!!!!!
  • Grabbed a togo cup from Coffee Division this morning, tasted like tier 1 to me!
  • I have to say, I agree with @Log_Gary and @YoursTruly on the topic of Arbor Lodge coffee, so long as we're talking the "pump" coffee you get from the pump for cheap.

But the pour-over is pretty good. I had it. It's pretty good. And they have a nice selection of teas.

Just sayin'

Coffee
  • That's cheating!

@Loose_Thread and I went to Arbor Lodge today.
    Ask her
  • Andrew and Gary are right! TWO VOTES
  • More like -2 votes.

And you get penalized for conspiracy as well. -1
  • EIGHT VOTES AT LEAST I THINK
  • I am in Rotterdam and all I can say is the coffee shops here are pretty amazing. I mean like wow crazy "where is my hat" crazy. Great atmosphere!
  • Tier 2.71828
  • Alex sent me this link:

http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2012/02/new_cafes_join_the_espresso_fr.html

And pointed out the author refers to some coffeeshops as "Third Wave".

WHAT ARE THE WAVES OF COFFEE!?!?

Wave 1: crap
    Wave 2: couch filled poet-reading coffee shops
    Wave 3: good coffee

This is a guess.

I also emailed the writer to ask him.
  • Michael Russell just wrote me back.

THIRD WAVE COFFEE IS REAL!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Wave_Coffee
  • BTDubs, if you go to "Arbor Lodge," try a special coffee made with a Holy Kakow! product. This locally produced product line is based around the success of its organic, ingredient-lean chocolate syrup. If you give a rat's ass about chocolate, this is the stuff. Pretty cool of Arbor Lodge to carry the most sophisticated chocolate sauce available in the city.
  • the NYT culture/trend pieces are so stupid I am not even clicking on that link. That's how political I am about the NYT culture/trend section.

You guys the other day I went to Heart and THAT PLACE RULES
  • another crucial factor in badass fancy coffee shops is that they are finally starting to have decent pastries, instead of Starbucks-level mass-produced garbage. I had an apple hand-pie at Heart that was like WHOA
  • @YoursTruly Many of them come from the same wonderful place!
  • So Pete's and Starbucks are second wave. COOL TO KNOW. Thanks, Michael Russell!

WHAT'S FOURTH WAVE?
    http://moreintelligentlife.com/blog/why-there-wont-be-fourth-wave-ska
  • Is the fourth wave in Japan?

"My boss won't let me make espressos," says the barista. "I need a year more, maybe two, before he's ready to let customers drink my shots undiluted by milk. And I'll need another whole year of practice after that if I want to be able to froth milk for cappuccinos."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204542404577157290201608630.html
  • In 2007 I tried to start 4th wave ska.
  • Great call Curt.
  • Wow, Curt. My favorite part of that article is how he won't make espresso after the morning because "the spike on the power grid after that time precludes drawing the voltage required for optimal pressure."

JAPAN WHY YOU SO JAPANESE?!
  • see my link re: why japan so japan
    it all goes back to tea ceremony

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

logo